A-S warrior

where the 90,s and early 00,s the best years?

1. better programing
  2. wagon wheels were much bigger
  3. music was better
  4. no facebook
  5. wwf raw is war
  6. keenan and kel, and the fresh prince of bel air
  7. american pie before all the bad sequels
  8. the x files
  9. friends reunited
  10. slow but effective windows 98
  11. mc donalds actully had decent happy meal toys
  12. no hung parliment
  13. back when haribo had blue sweets in the bag
  14. ren and stimpy, angry beavers, rockos modern life.
  15. september 11th hadent happend yet
  16. pepole had more money
  17. no annoying rap groups like n dubz
  18. health and saftey wasnt as crazy
  19. you could get away with more
  20. slam door trains.

do i just have a really good pair of rose tinted specticles?

It depends on how you look at it. I wont go through your list only to say most of it is totally irrelevant to me.

For me from a materialistic point of view, the 70s were the best time.

From a happiness point of view mid 90s onwards.

But everything always looks better looking back.

Time is slowly catching up with us, we are still living with the dream that our standard of living etc will continued to improve. This is extremely unlikely to be the case, we have in effect been living off the future. (I mean that from a whole world prospective)

Good post young un! I would say the 80's as a gut reaction but not sure if my memory is good enought to think back that far and come up with 20 things, might be a pet project for next week.

In some ways the 90's were ok and the 00's and I'm not in the mood to list the good things just now...

But in other ways those 2 decades were absolute total and utter hell. I was at secondary school for most of the 90's and it wasn't a good time and in the 00's excessively depressed with bad ###### going down through 3/4 of it...

And just to cheer us up we got tragic pop stars who thought they were all that :wallbash:

I hate the fact that I can now say "last century" cuz it makes me feel old :lol:

On reflection after having known four decades I have to say there were highlights in them all, but childhood often being a carefree time of our lives I have to say the seventies and early eighties were probably the best times in the winter, as as a child I suffered hay fever allergic to all pollen from age four through to age 32 and piriton a mild sedative was the only med available at the time so summer I slept a lot. Added to that good memories seem to be from that era specifically, whereas other eras I can remember both good and lots of bad because in those later eras one was a clueless undiagnosed AS adult trying to fit in in a very cruel dog eat dog society.

What's so great about slam-door trains? Good riddance to them I say.

There is no specific era in my opinion that's better than any other it's just your personal experience within the time frame your thinking about. Others could have had a terrible time while you had happy memory's so the perspective will be different depending on a number of circumstances.

For me there were good times and bad so I can define both positive and negative aspects, it's all down to opinion nothing more.

Did anyone else here watch 'Back in Time for Dinner' over the summer? That made out the '90s to be a time of plenty (recession, Gulf War, Yugoslavian conflict and dotcom boom/bust notwithstanding).

As I recall, the family seemed to enjoy the 70s most, and likewise with the more recent 'Back in Time for Christmas'.

Check out some clips here.

Edited by Aeolienne

They were good years. I remember TV shows used to be much better than now (on the whole), and I used to love the old shows. I tend to watch old shows now rather than newer ones. Not only were wagon wheels bigger, but tins of Roses/ Quality street etc were as well, and I kind of miss the old tins, rather than the new plastic ones.

(Not written by me - a look back at the 90s from the perspective of the mid-2010s)

The 90s are back: the return of the decade that good taste forgot

From Reebok Pumps to Dr Martens, Beck to Neneh Cherry and bumbags to cargo pants... Richard Godwin heralds the return of the 90s

By Richard Godwin

Thursday 27 March 2014

At last, we are emerging from recession.

On the catwalks, Marc Jacobs’ grunge is vying with Prada’s minimalism, as worn by a new breed of super-model. On the streets, the Reebok Pump is the ‘It’ trainer, the Dr Martens is the must-have boot and Jerry Seinfeld is a normcore style icon. Neneh Cherry has a new album, Aaliyah’s ‘Back and Forth’ is the tune du jour in Dalston, while the new 3,000-capacity Studio 338 in Greenwich is bringing ‘Ibiza-style clubbing’ to the suburbs. Oh, and there’s an unpopular Conservative prime minister and a vague sense of impending apocalypse, too…

Then, just as I was wondering if all this adds up to a 1990s revival, the Lighthouse Family intervened in the Crimea. As tensions mounted, the middle-of-the-road duo behind such quintessential 1990s crapness as ‘Lifted’ and ‘Ocean Drive’ offered to send Vladimir Putin some CDs, ‘so he can chill the f*** out’. People did a lot of chilling the f*** out in the 1990s!

For anyone who grew up in that gurning, sarcastic, cocksure decade, the prospect of returning there is a little alarming. Some of us have spent years trying to forget Kula Shaker ever happened and disownourteenagecrushes on Jet from Gladiators. And do people not remember how painfully slow the dial-up connection was then?

But our nostalgia is pretty specific. Just as if you watch a film like Bernardo Bertolucci’s The Conformist, it looks more like the year it was made (1970) rather than the year it was set in  (1938), so the 1990s catwalk revival has a particular flavour. If you had to home in on a year, it would be 1992.

You can see it in the A/W 2014 collections of Hedi Slimane for Saint Laurent and Marc Jacobs, who has returned to doing the sort of unkempt grunge that made his name back when Kate Moss and Johnny Depp were an item. It’s a sort of can’t-be-bothered look, an epochal insouciance that you can hear in many of the decade’s truly great musical moments, from ‘Loser’ by Beck (back with a new album!) and ‘I Hate Myself and Want to Die’ by Nirvana.

Some designers have gone for a fresher take on early 1990s style for the coming autumn, such as the grown-up grunge at Christopher Kane, and Jeremy Scott’s bandanas and street bling collection for Moschino. Versace, perhaps the quintessential 1990s label, is back with renewed vigour after selling 20 per cent to Blackstone, while the stable of supermodels that the label helped launch — Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, etc — find their echo in the present generation of clothes horses with personality, such as Cara Delevingne, Karlie Kloss and Jourdan Dunn.

But it’s on the high street that you see the revival’s purest expression. Classic 1990s trainers such as the Reebok Pump (with that little orange basketball that you use to inflate your sole!) and the Adidas Gazelle have become collector’s items. I’m sure I spotted a bumbag in Shoreditch the other day, while Palladium boots and Dr Martens are definitely a thing. Miley Cyrus recently performed in a cannabis-spattered leotard wearing a very small rucksack: very 1992. The Global Hypercolor T-shirt revival can’t be far off.

The Wolf of Wall Street — largely set in the early 1990s — is one of the sharper films to reference, particularly the grey sweatpants that Leonardo DiCaprio wears as he falls victim to his Quaaludes. Meanwhile, the so-called normcore trend for dressing like a computer geek recalls those utopian early days of the World Wide Web and has its echoes in classic anti-fashion, the toned-down response to the excesses of the 1980s.

Still, for all the early 1990s moments that resonate right now — CK jeans, D’Angelo soul, Eric Cantona collars — it’s interesting how many of the later moments fall flat. The Spice Girls musical, Viva Forever!, was a spectacular failure. The Full Monty stage show announced its closure after a month, despite strong reviews. And nobody feels the need to replay the decade’s big, self-conscious moments, such as the Oasis vs Blur chart battle of 1995, the ‘Football’s Coming Home’ heartache of 1996, the New Labour election victory of 1997.

However, enough time has passed that we can appreciate a lot of the stuff that we overlooked. I was so taken with playing Super Mario World at the time that I failed to get excited about the World Wide Web. Aaliyah (loved by all the girls in my class) sounded rather lamestream back then, but now I appreciate how fresh and forward-looking her songs were. And so we rewrite history. TLC over Elastica. Grunge over Britpop. My So-Called Life over This Life. Cargo pants over charity shop flares. Clueless over Trainspotting. Salt-N-Pepa over the Spice Girls.

One of the loudest echoes of the 1990s is heard on Buzzfeed, which has built a new media empire on the back of posts such as ‘23 Things That Saved by The Bell Taught You’ and ‘36 Timeless Outfits from Clueless’. There’s an innocence to the way that Buzzfeed celebrates the 1990s, which makes sense when you realise it is pitched not at people who were hanging out with Liam and Patsy at the Met Bar, but those who spent the 1990s playing with Super Soakers and watching The Raccoons (dreadful, btw). There is no surer way to a generation’s hearts than through its childhood memories. ‘39 Signs You Grew Up in the 90s’ was among the first online posts when Buzzfeed UK was launched last year and featured Streetfighter II, Tamagotchis and those bike reflectors that came free with Kellogg’s cereal.

Looking back, it was a pretty innocent time. The Berlin Wall fell in 1989; Al Qaeda attacked America in 2001. In between? Well, aside from a few embassy bombings and the ever-present risk of being gunged, all was quiet, geopolitically speaking. In 1992, the economist Francis Fukuyama could write of ‘the end point of mankind’s ideological evolution and the universalisation of Western liberal democracy’ in his book The End of History.

It’s easy to laugh now, but at the time, there was a feeling that life had turned out OK. It wasn’t only acid house ravers around the M25 who had fun — everyone seemed to lighten up, as if ecstasy had made its way into the water supply. Hooligans softened into lads and football became mainstream entertainment. Shopping was suddenly a leisure activity, as Londoners flocked to out-of-town centres such Bluewater and Lakeside. Supermarkets began to stock such exoticisms as hummus and feta cheese in the way that we’re now bombarded by chia seeds and kale. Eating out became normal. Before the 1990s, orange juice counted as a starter in most UK restaurants; by the end of the decade, glamorous haunts such as the Atlantic Bar and Grill in Piccadilly (now Brasserie Zédel) and Damien Hirst’s Notting Hill restaurant Pharmacy had become destinations in the way Berners Tavern and Chiltern Firehouse are now. With the Millennium on the horizon, an uneasy truce was declared following the angry fighting of the 1980s. One of my main complaints as a teenager was that there was nothing to complain about.

In retrospect, we can see the fault lines: the increasing reliance on credit; the deregulation of the money markets; rumblings of unrest in the Middle East; the chaos of post-Communist Russia; the transformational effects of digital communication… However, is it any wonder that we now recall with fondness those last few years before mobile phones, reality TV, internet trolling and cyberbullying?

Every reborn era comes with a twist: whenever we resurrect the past, we do so in our own image, incorporating our current obsessions and importing whatever else has happened between. The 1990s haven’t come back unaltered, but what has resurfaced is that once again there’s a lot of untapped youthful energy on our streets. Perhaps the bigger revival is yet to come: Cool Britannia, the sequel?

Source: Evening Standard

I reckon it was probably easier to meet other singles before people got all clannish and ignorant. Youngsters these days are hard to impress. Also, dating websites are full of string pullers, so being smart like myself, you know Miss Right won't be likely to be located on any of them.

In general, you may say the years were better when you were younger, as I guess children have less responsibilities and therefore, less hassle than they learn that they will acquire in adulthood. But then there's things like games consoles with HD graphics and the Internet that exists now, which probably weren't even around in your time, if you were born in the eighties or a prior decade. So the nineties would be classed as being your time, in a way, if you were born in a year such as 1988. That's just an example.

While I'm generally quite daft on pop culture from the 80s, I was too young to recall any of that decade. But people have often told me it was horrible, while others claim it was heavenly.