Aeolienne

Academic careers not so perfect for Asperger individuals after all

The latest contribution to the Guardian's Private lives column caught my eye...

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

Incidentally, one of the commentators also scotches the myth that accountancy doesn't require people skills.

"as someone who has worked for many years in that field, accountancy and taxation - at least in private practice - demand huge interpersonal skills (I put my own lack of success in part down to this). Even to get the basic qualification he would have to get a job in such a practice as a precursor to moving on elsewhere. "

Do you think we can learn people skills?

Yes I believe people skills can be taught but probably best done from an early age. I have heard that girls learn people skiils more quickly as they tend to be more gregarious than boys and are more accepting of one another and more observant. I use "people skills" in my job to a large degree but would go into complete meltdown if I was asked to give a presentation or lecture.

Yes one can learn skills through observation and copying but I'm all in favour of a mentor to give guidance etc

Indeed that's why I asked in another thread some time ago about a life coach expert in Aspergers/autism disorders. Clearly a market here and should I be redundant by Christmas, this might be an attractive route for me

Go for it Robert :clap:

Hmmm, I've done a little research and the up-front cost is quite expensive. Not sure if I can justify it at present - but will do a bit more research