Mannify

recent topics replaced by birthdays?

The part of the screen which used to be devoted to 'recent topics' has been replaced by birthdays. Have I inadvertently changed my settings, or has this happened to everyone?

Hi Mannify

I have changed this back to show recent topics and also added member status updates to trial.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Kind regards

Lufty

Just repeating myself in the increased likelihood of this reply being seen :ph34r:

The status thing is ok, and it's interesting to see people's status as they update it but in my opinion it would look better underneath the "recent topics" box - especially considering the days when people put a lot of advertising/spam based stuff in their status updates - I don't think those people should be rewarded by having that rubbish at the top of the page.

Best

Darkshine

i disagree, i think the status widget should stay there so pepole can see how much sh1t is being posted by these spammers, it makes pepole aware of what user names to watch out for.

That's all well and good, supposing the people who can block such spammers actually come on and read the statuses - and then make a decision about blocking such people - and if anyone is willing to do that, then they technically would be willing to scroll a couple of inches down the page.

I don't see why spammers should get precedence - it just encourages them to post more ###### for us all to read.

It's the topic posts that are important - not the statuses (IMO of course)

A-S Warrior

You can only edit posts for four hours after which time you are no longer able to edit your post.

This is to preserve the integrity of the thread discussions.

Kind regards

Lufty

I can edit but then it won't save the changes and I can't press cancel to exit out of editing (I have been aware of the 4 hour thing since shortly after I joined the forum - I have just tried to edit a post now and found out the problem with those 2 buttons)

Also - when I press the notification button in a post it doesn't drop down the menu like normal - it sends me straight to the notification page (which I don't want it to do) the only time it works normally is on the main forum page.

Hi darkshine

Thanks for flagging this and I have now fixed the problem.

Kind regards

Lufty

Thanks for looking at it Lufty - but I don't get a drop down box at all now though lol it just always goes to the "user CP" page and the notifications don't go from the top of the page.

Another issue is that the "more reply options" button for full editing gives a weird selection of commands amongst the text that is slightly distracting (don't know how many people use this function - but I use it a lot) :)PS - the editing works great now.Just wanted to give you a couple of examples of what I am seeing in full post editor for post previews and quotes...(don't know how many) For some reason the word "don't" comes up like that/ X/p>And even though I added spacing here it won't acknowledge that I have pressed return between the "PS" and the examples and this sentence I am writing now - also there's none of the tools at the top of the message for editing now either - sorry about the lack of spacing - couldn't help it :)

Edited by darkshine

PPS - it's even weirder in PM!!! Can see a large percentage of the commands for font, colour, text size, spaces, and anything with an apostrophe has a code - makes a nice mess of characters and numbers.

Also with my example on the previous message the forum decided to correct what I said - I actually wrote something different but seeing as I wrote an example of the commands I guess it's just converted it for me.

Hi darkshine

How is it looking for you now ?

Kind regards

Lufty

Looking great Lufty, no garbled commands in any messages (whatever format I use) PM's are fine, got the tool bar back at the top of message boxes and my notifications seem to be working fine - overall pretty happy and impressed with the speed of you sorting it out :thumbs::notworthy::D

I've had a play around with posts, messages, PM's and a quote (here lol) pressed just about every option I can think of in a relatively short amount of time - and it all seems fine - if anything else crops up I'll let you know

Regards

Darkshine

Hi darkshine

I have applied the same fix as before however I have a suspicion that the problem will come back even though it is working at the moment.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Lufty

nope, diddnt work. have you done something in the permissions by accident? (i.e members cant edit posts), on my forum when something like this happens, its were ive messed up in the admin pannel. not saying your as silly as me but these kinds of things happen sometimes.

Hi darkshine

I have applied the same fix as before however I have a suspicion that the problem will come back even though it is working at the moment.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Lufty

Hi Lufty,

Your suspicion is accurate (unfortunately)....

At the moment none of the 3 buttons work (cancel, save or full editor/preview).

Everything else seems to be working (on a basic level at least) I haven't actually sat and messed with every function (and there's a few I don't use anyway). I will do so at some point in the next few days and see if anything stands out.

Good luck working out the editing issues cuz that's gotta be frustrating for you too!! :)

Best

Darkshine

um... (dumb mode on...) how does one edit a post and for what reason?

I edit mostly because of spelling or spacing issues that I missed prior to sending - also because I forget a certain word counts as swearing and then have to change it, and they don't show up til you prview or send.

Occasionally I say something and then very quickly change my mind - AS Warrior has seen one of those (I'm pretty quick at editing - but he was quicker that time).

Sometimes I hit send by mistake when I haven't finished typing because the mouse pad is small on my netbook and I brush it by accident and if the cursor is over "send" at the time - that's what happens - it's even more annoying when the cursor is on the little "X" that closes my browser and I lose everything though!!!

If I double post something (happened today in PM) I will edit one and delete it and add an explanation (usually moaning about double posting not happening very often and being annoying when it does happen).

And sometimes I read what I wrote and just think "that sounds so stupid" so I remove that part.

I imagine there's other reasons why people edit - but these are my main ones :)