• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Mannify

Emoticons we need

I thought sorry would be a good one, or embarrassed, or an angel cuz you got a devil.

And last time I said that I was told that :peace::oops: and :bancomp: covered them - which I don't think they fully do.

Cuz oops isn't always embarrassed and peace is too smiley for a sincere apology and the angel thing still has a devil blasting it so the angel doesn't look very innocent does it?

I think that's what the peace one is for :lol:

its too smiley and childish. and i very seldom smile in real life lol my face is expressionless like a terminator

Mannify   

I really think we could do with an emoticon that expresses care and concern; a simple statement, rather than a burdensome request for information or reassurance - a kind of lodging of one's support, sort of thing. Not sure how that would be communicated in a single emoticon, though.

Maybe you were just overenthusiastic... I checked out the song you said you were head banging to, you could cheat and head bang to alternative beats (then you half the amount of head bangs I guess).... worth a try?

Mannify   

Well, against my better judgement (i.e. my neck, which is still a bit iffy, as well as a child development chapter waiting to be revised), I tried it. Verdict: easier on the neck, but not very exhilarating.

Mannify   

Yeah well, see, head-banging has never really been my thing. I've always been a flailer ( so not cool, I know), which does involve a fair bit of head and hair flinging, but not with the same intensity. So it probably does need working on.

What's the consensus? A straightforward back and forth head-bang, or is a bit of a sweep from side to side ok?

Edited by Mannify

What's the consensus? A straightforward back and forth head-bang, or is a bit of a sweep from side to side ok?

Don't forget the whole head spin thing with hair flying in a circle!

If it were me I'd try each out and see which feels most comfortable - you can always compensate for any limitedness in head-banging (through pain) by going with the flailing thing :lol:

Ok... back on topic then... I think there should be more fun ones... there should be a rollercoaster one that can be used when going to theme parks or when life has it's different aspects (fun, fear, speed, going upside down, ups and down etc).

Plus it'd be fun to watch, it could zip along the screen with little people in a cart, there could even be a loop in it to make it larger and annoying :D