Sign in to follow this  
helen_xxxx

DLA Question

Hello :-)

This is my first post on the forum as I have a bit of a question regarding the assessment of DLA for ASD adults.

I have a 21 yr old brother who is on the lower rate of DLA to enable him to get about as he can't drive etc. He is quite vulnerable and has only just started using buses within the last year as he wasn't confident enough beforehand.

My boyfriend has a 16 yr old brother who has just been assessed for DLA and they've said he qualifies for the medium rate which I don't understand.....compared to my brother he is much more developed and is happy to go out on his own.

I fully believe they should both receive some form of DLA, but it frustrates me as I feel either my boyfriends brother is receiving too much money or my brother isn't receiving enough.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I didn't know if there was any info out there to help me understand how the DLA comes to their decisions.....mainly for curiosity reasons :)

There is no medium rate for mobility - only a low and high rate. There is however also a low, medium and high rate for care. You can get one or both parts of DLA and each can be at a different rate.

It is hard (though not impossible) to get high rate mobility unless the person is physically disabled. In very basic terms - high rate care means they need a lot of care during both day and night, medium care rate means they need a lot of care during either day or night, and low rate care means they need a little care during day or night.