Sign in to follow this  
Special_talent123

Dyspraxia and dysgraphia

I've never thought about this until now, but I think dysgraphia is a specific form of dyspraxia.

Dyspraxia takes many forms

• when movements of the arms and legs are involved it is referred to as Limb apraxia
  • inability to carry out facial movements on command, e.g., lick, lips, whistle cough , or wink etc this is referred to as Nonverbal-oral or buccofacial apraxia.
  • inability to carry out a motor command, for example, "act as if you are brushing your teeth" or "salute" (Ideomotor)
  • inability to create a plan for or idea of a specific movement (Ideational) , for example, "pick up this pen and write down your name",
  • inability to make fine, precise movements with a limb ( Limb-kinetic ),
  • difficulty planning the movements necessary for speech (Verbal ), also known as Apraxia of Speech
  • inability to draw or construct simple configurations (Constructional ),
  • difficulty moving the eyes (Oculomotor ).

Dysgraphia could be caused by either or both Ideational or Ideomotor dyspraxia.

I don't know if it is related, but my hand writing goes completely to pieces when I'm stressed or tired.

Do you have good and bad days for writing, or is it always difficult?

Edited by raydon

I have dyspraxia, but I'm on about this:

Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects writing, which requires a complex set of motor and information processing skills. Dysgraphia makes the act of writing difficult. It can lead to problems with spelling, poor handwriting, and putting thoughts on paper. People with dysgraphia can have trouble organizing letters, numbers, and words on a line or page. This can result partly from:

Visual-spatial difficulties: trouble processing what the eye sees

Language processing difficulty: trouble processing and making sense of what the ear hears

As with all learning disabilities (LD), dysgraphia is a lifelong challenge, although how it manifests may change over time. A student with this disorder can benefit from specific accommodations in the learning environment. Extra practice learning the skills required to be an accomplished writer can also help.

What Are the Warning Signs of Dysgraphia?

Just having bad handwriting doesn't mean a person has dysgraphia. Since dysgraphia is a processing disorder, difficulties can change throughout a lifetime. However since writing is a developmental process — children learn the motor skills needed to write, while learning the thinking skills needed to communicate on paper — difficulties can also overlap.

In Early Writers

Tight, awkward pencil grip and body position

Avoiding writing or drawing tasks

Trouble forming letter shapes

Inconsistent spacing between letters or words

Poor understanding of uppercase and lowercase letters

Inability to write or draw in a line or within margins

Having read the Early Writers criteria it is very strange for me. I always got a sore hand while writing as a child and I was very hunched. I frequently had to shake my arm to get rid of cramps. Looking at my old workbooks it is very clear that my writing always went downhill towards the right and my discovery that I could write straight with the aid of a ruler coincided with a fad at the school for using rulers for this purpose. I mostly had a tiny gap between words and my writing style often changed - in one workbook 3 pieces of work on 2 pages were written in completely different sizes and styles. However, I also loved drawing and drew quite precise and detailed pictures and went on to go to Art College so don't think dysgraphia is one of my 'things'. I do think I do have issues related to dyspraxia though....

i have to hand write on the lined paper but my words go up and down or straight sometimes. but constantly it hurts to hand write. my hand writing could not be understood as a child, sometimes i hand write and cant understand what i wrote

Edited by Special_talent123

I've always had mild dyspraxia (never diagnosed) - as a child I couldn't dress myself properly until I was 8. Had trouble throwing and catching balls, balancing, riding a bike. I never learnt to swim (very traumatic). Left & right are still a problem. I peel potatoes and chop vegetables awkwardly and slowly. I can read music, but can't coordinate my hands or move my fingers fast enough when playing the piano. Playing violins, guitars, flutes, etc. would be a nightmare for me. I like the piano, ţambal, accordion, organ, etc. because the notes are in a nice logical order, but it's so frustrating as I never improve my playing however much practice I do.

I have dysgraphia too, but it used to be far worse. My handwriting looked very awkward until I was 17 when I made a conscious effort to copy the writing of a girl I idolised and sat next to at school. It changed dramatically in no time and is still, decades later, barely any different. However, it tends to get very small, so tiny that sometimes even I can't read it. On lined paper (narrow spaced A4) I squeeze up to 4 lines of writing in each space, so I really have to be careful not to start doing this when I want other people to read it. On unlined paper my writing always starts sloping downwards! Before I got a computer in 2006, I obsessively filled many pads of A4 with my tiny writing. Now I write on a computer most of the time, but I only type with one finger usually, but very fast.

I don't have dyslexia and I'm very good at spelling (in several languages), but I often transpose letters when typing and have to correct tehm. ;)