I know this is an old topic but I have a few points that I thought might help anyone else reading this thread.

The first is that SpLD stands for Specific Learning Difficulty not Special. They use that term to differentiate it from generalised learning disabilities or delays, in that people can be fairly fluent in learning in other areas. It's not impossible to have a couple of specific learning difficulties but when things become more evident of a global learning difficulty or delay, that's when it gets confusing. People who have more global issues that effect not just reading and writing would probably not get a dyslexia diagnosis if assessed correctly, even if their reading and writing fit the criteria, because Dyslexia it is in itself categorised as specific, rightly or wrongly. The problem gets more confusing when someone is initially diagnosed with Dyslexia before other learning delays are picked up (more common in milder difficulties) and then you end up with people with a diagnosis of both when really they have a global learning difficulty.

The second point is that when other difficulties have been assessed and diagnosed, it's not common to have Dyslexia go undetected. It's one of the most widely tested learning difficulties there is. If anything, it's sometimes the first conclusion people make, a bit like the fad of diagnosing asthma back in the nineties (which my eldest fell victim to and ended up with unecessary inhalers for, but that's not relevant at all, shut up Kathy). Couple that with those with across the board learning difficulties potentially having the same 'symptoms', and you could see why someone might think they have it when they maybe don't fit the criteria due to having further issues.

Hope that helps, probably not lol but it's what I've had explained to me (too often) both through my son's history of dyslexia and through the little bit we learned in my Psychology degree (you'd think you'd learn this kind of stuff in more depth but nope lol).

I know this is an old topic but I have a few points that I thought might help anyone else reading this thread.

The first is that SpLD stands for Specific Learning Difficulty not Special. They use that term to differentiate it from generalised learning disabilities or delays, in that people can be fairly fluent in learning in other areas. It's not impossible to have a couple of specific learning difficulties but when things become more evident of a global learning difficulty or delay, that's when it gets confusing. People who have more global issues that effect not just reading and writing would probably not get a dyslexia diagnosis if assessed correctly, even if their reading and writing fit the criteria, because Dyslexia it is in itself categorised as specific, rightly or wrongly. The problem gets more confusing when someone is initially diagnosed with Dyslexia before other learning delays are picked up (more common in milder difficulties) and then you end up with people with a diagnosis of both when really they have a global learning difficulty.

The second point is that when other difficulties have been assessed and diagnosed, it's not common to have Dyslexia go undetected. It's one of the most widely tested learning difficulties there is. If anything, it's sometimes the first conclusion people make, a bit like the fad of diagnosing asthma back in the nineties (which my eldest fell victim to and ended up with unecessary inhalers for, but that's not relevant at all, shut up Kathy). Couple that with those with across the board learning difficulties potentially having the same 'symptoms', and you could see why someone might think they have it when they maybe don't fit the criteria due to having further issues.

Hope that helps, probably not lol but it's what I've had explained to me (too often) both through my son's history of dyslexia and through the little bit we learned in my Psychology degree (you'd think you'd learn this kind of stuff in more depth but nope lol).

I couldnt get tested for it but i have learning disabilities -special needs. I think u can have learning disabilities and dyslexia too

You can definitely have the same problems, but it won't (shouldn't) get a diagnosis of Dyslexia unless it's distinct and you don't have a more overall learning difficulty. It is only meant to be diagnosed as Dyslexia when it is a problem that is separate to the overall learning of a person )taking into account that problems with reading and writing could effect other subjects that rely on those skills, meaning it can get misdiagnosed as a more general issue) - the same symptoms can be part of generalised learning difficulties when there are difficulties across the board. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well lol. I had a copy of the diagnostic criteria off our previous council's learning difficulties team and one criteria is that the person does not have a general learning delay/difficulty. It's really 'muddy water' because so many issues can display themselves in a similar way.

You can definitely have the same problems, but it won't (shouldn't) get a diagnosis of Dyslexia unless it's distinct and you don't have a more overall learning difficulty. It is only meant to be diagnosed as Dyslexia when it is a problem that is separate to the overall learning of a person )taking into account that problems with reading and writing could effect other subjects that rely on those skills, meaning it can get misdiagnosed as a more general issue) - the same symptoms can be part of generalised learning difficulties when there are difficulties across the board. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well lol. I had a copy of the diagnostic criteria off our previous council's learning difficulties team and one criteria is that the person does not have a general learning delay/difficulty. It's really 'muddy water' because so many issues can display themselves in a similar way.

well i do have a learning disability they base learning disabilities on academic IQ below 70 if its over 70 it wouldnt be called a learning disability.

the type of school i went too only took people with moderate learning disabilities i had a friend who was dyslexic there as well. I had dyspraxia and learning disability when i went there age 14 came with autism too.

I have just started receiving specific dyslexia support and I feel so much better because this lady is also a language teacher as well.

Turns out its my Irlen Syndrome all along with my dyspraxia and learning disability.

But what I have noticed, whilst waiting for my Irlen lense is I am having more problems which my irlen lenses, will correct every espect or even reduce anything I need. I have rose overlays to read with, but I have to wait for my lenses to help my Irlen problems properly.

My irlen symptoms:

- Light Sensitivity; Flashing lights: Blue, black, white ; Cluster Headaches caused by 'Sun and bright light'

- Reading: Its proven I struggled with reading paper with a glare, especially glossy paper. I have switched into using lavender paper and that's helped me a lot ; White is distorted on black, but however give me an object to look at such as 'lots of squares in a cube box' the cube moves in, give me the pumpkin one and that just moves. Reading I skip read, and what the Irlen assessor has noticed is that my dyspraxia was showing itself because I was struggling to process what I was reading, whilst even skip reading. I also get tired/sore eyes reading.

- Motion Sickness, on a bus and it got worse that I actually been sick so everytime im travelling I have to take travel sickness tablets everywhere I go on a bus, even locally as I even got sick on the bus

-Autism/Dyspraxia can play a part of my Irlen too