In order to protect our members and anybody reading this forum, there are a few rules that we would like to make you aware of:-
1. This site has been created to offer help and advice to our members on the subject of ASD. All forums with the sole exception of "Off Topic" are designed for serious and relevant discussion. "Off Topic" should be used for all other postings.
2. Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message posted on this forum.
3. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this forum. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.
4. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
5. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum.
6. Any posting that the moderators consider to be insulting, abusive, obscene or inflammatory (often known as flame baiting, flaming or trolling) will be removed immediately and the member warned, placed on restrictive posts or banned. In extreme circumstances we will report the poster to their ISP and ask that appropriate action be taken.
7. This forum is for the benefit of all of our members and all posts should be both polite and respectful to the views of other members. For the avoidance of doubt the moderators reserve the right to err on the side of caution and moderate posts which might be impolite or disrespectful to the views of other members.
8. Personal attacks on other forum members will not be tolerated. The moderators will intervene when a discussion starts to turn into a heated debate or argument. If the situation continues then the thread will be closed and hidden from general view without further notice and the offending member formally warned.
9. The use of swear words on this forum is not acceptable and the moderators will remove any such postings immediately. Please note that this includes the using @, #, * etc. to replace certain letters in the word.
10. Posts, or links to websites advertising commercial sales or services may be removed or edited by the moderators. If in doubt please contact a moderator before making the posting. The moderators will have the final decision as to whether a post is suitable.
11. Posts should refrain from identifying schools, organisations or professionals without having obtained the prior consent of the individuals concerned. For the avoidance of doubt the moderators will remove any postings where there is any doubt that prior permission has been obtained.
12. To prevent any possible Libel or defamation claim being made against the forum or individual members it is important that members should refrain from using brand names in their posts. Any such postings will be removed without notice by the moderators.
13. To protect yourselves it is important that members understand the risks of using an Internet based open forum. We strongly urge you to give serious consideration to the risks of giving out personal information, contact details, or meeting other members on this forum etc.
14. Image posting is disabled.
15. Any posted links to external sites will be checked and verified. If they are harmful to computers, or indeed to our members - they will be removed and the poster notified.
16. Members are asked to use the forum on a "single identity" basis. Posting under multiple identities is not acceptable, and where such activities are discovered members may, at the discretion of the hosts, be banned from the forum.
If you have any concerns about a particular posting then please let the moderators know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively you can send a PM to Matzoball, Merry, Sally44, Suze or Trekster.
These rules exist to protect our members, and any action taken (editing, removing posts/topics) is not personal.
Just to let you know, this forum is actively 'managed' by the hosts and our moderators (matzoball, Merry, Sally44, Suze and trekster)
Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support
Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.
People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.
There is a list of sources of mental health support here: Mental Health Resources link
People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.
We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.
However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.
In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.
Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.
If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.
We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive appropriate support from trained and experienced professional resources.
The moderator and admin team
Edited by matzoball, 06 October 2013 - 01:06 AM.
Updating moderator list