watergirl

Supermarket discrimination?

I expect most of you fellow Aspies find noisy shops a nuisance? I do!!

It occured to me the other day that supermarkets that use the old fashioned "musak".....non original artist music, that is supposed to be inoffensive....are really discriminating against the disabled! They will happily provide electric buggies for those with mobility issues and make everything accessable in the usual PC ways......but do they not realise that playing music can be torture for people like me. I get really REALLY stressed if I am trying to shop and deal with all the other noise and (to me) illogical behaviour of shoppers. Some shops have NO music....and the silence surely does not offend any of the shoppers in those stores? Yet in the store where I shop we have to put up with music that is either slow and soft or fast and loud, depending on whether they want people to linger, or speed up to keep the flow moving....such a transarent strategy....and it is awful music...especially to someone like me who is quite musical. I can never think straight....especially with all the bing-bong announcement interuptions as well....Grrrrrr!!!!

They don't seem to care that it may offend/upset those of us with an invisible disability......so I see this as discrimination. A lack of music/self advertising shop radio chat/rubbish will not upset anyone .....except the area manager maybe, who's sales targets must be met, even at the expense of our discomfort.

If this were to be discussed on a national TV show....maybe the One Show, for example, I bet the resulting negative publicity would make them think.

If anyone reading this has any contacts that could raise awareness of this issue I would love to know.

Ok, rant over.....but I really needed to get that one off my chest!

I can't do big supermarkets like the local Asda 24hr. I do the big sainsburys on a quiet day if I'm going for petrol at the same time. Usually I do the small sainsburys so I can get round quicker and get out.

I do definitely prefer shops when they are not too busy and when there isn't too much in the way of noise and yes, I do really hate musak! The problem for me though is that I am much more affected by 'visual noise' when I go shopping. I like things to be ordered and easy to find and absolutely cannot stand that things like chutney might be in a completely different place to beetroot or pancakes are nowhere near the crumpets (probably designed again so you have to walk up and down aisles more than you want to!!). I avoid places now where things are all out of order. I believe it has possibly changed but I only managed to go into TK Maxx twice years ago but became very stressed and annoyed having to 'rummage' through all the different clothes and I almost gave up on our local BhS before they had a makeover; no signs anywhere, dingy lighting and all the clothes jumbled together - nightmare!!

I think the problem is that shopping is all about business (especially supermarkets and bigger retailers) and they are catering for the masses. Recently, there was a thread on here about making shopping precincts more ASD friendly and I think that certain steps could definitely be taken to make shopping a more pleasant and relaxing environment for everyone but even if shops were music free, completely ordered with good signage and accessible (in the physical sense) for all, it still wouldn't meet the needs of absolutely everyone. I agreethough that it would be better for more people than now. I much prefer traffic free predestrian precincts so I think this is definitely a good way forward but then it isn't practical everywhere either.

I think it would extremely difficult for a supermarket to make adjustments for everyone though. I'm sure there are plenty of other invisible - or even visible - disabilities which mean people have other issues with big supermarkets. They can't cater for everyone, as much as I'm sure they'd like to (well hopefully they would), unfortunately.

There's a website that plays white noise constantly - which is apparently very good, through ear plugs/headphones, at blocking out background noise. I find it to be quite effective. Maybe playing this through your phone might help?

http://simplynoise.com/

Or there's one that has the same effect, but it plays rain instead:

http://rain.simplynoise.com/

Interesting.....We all seem to need different things.....I keep meaning to put some music on my phone for that reason, but just got a new phone and not sure how to do it...so I will sort that this week I think.....the idea of white noise/rain is good too Willow-Tree....though may not be loud enough to drown the musak! The only problem with drowning out the un-wanted noise is that it also deprives one of being able to hear the surrounding "dangers" (as I see them) .....small children and mad trolley-dashers.....but worth a try anyway....and on the rare occasion that I hear music in a shop that I would choose, then, yes, Special Talent, it is calming....but if not, and I have no control over the choice, then it is just an irritant unfortunately.

With regard to visual disorder...generally I agree Lindalou....but I'm ok if I stick to one shop and get to know where everything is......I hate it when they move things though...change!! ...not good at all ! The one shop I quite like for clothes though, is H&M.....there is little structure, but I shop by colour, not style, and somehow it works in that shop for me.

Hmm....I'm going to listen to some rain now :)

I agree with you about the music. I listen to my mp3s on the bus or walking - and keep my eyes peeled for the "dangerously stupid" people too - but I find I have to turn it off when I switch situations, So if I'm sitting on a bus and I have to get off, or I'm walking and I have to go into a shop. Then I find the music distracts me from the thing I need to do, even if I love the tune. We have the radio on at work and sometimes that gets to me as well.

I hate it when shops move their stock around too. Boots is the worst becuase it's all white and the lights are really bright too. I know why they do it and I want to shout "Stop trying to sell me things I don't want to buy and leave the toothpaste alone!"

Maybe I should....

:)

Edited by ebichu64

Yes....I think folk in the shops think I'm some sort of mad woman.......I regularly make loud comments about all the frustrating things like the music and the unnecessary "extra" bins of things at the end of the aisles to keep you trapped so that you (supposedly) buy more......I just move those....so I expect they think I arrived on the "special" bus!! I can just see through all their pathetic attempts to sell, sell, sell............I actually buy less, and need to get out of store asap!!!

I just had an idea. Not sure how viable it is but how about a youtube video filmed from your point of view? It would be as though you were walking around the store so you wouldn't have to be on camera. You could use captions at those key points like those bins being right in the way, or the layout suddenly being changed, or the bottleneck of people cause by two of them stopping to chat in a stupid place. Adjust the sound to show how intrusive the muzak is and how the whole experience puts you off. It's hard for me to make people understand me with words, sometimes showing them is easier. If going into the shop is too stressful is there anyone who could help you film it? You could reach a much bigger audience - I'd certainly share it on my Facebook page.

By the way, I do most of my shopping online now, including having Sainsbury's deliver. They say the internet is killing the high street, I say the high street is killing the high street and the internet has saved me! B)

I just had an idea. Not sure how viable it is but how about a youtube video filmed from your point of view? It would be as though you were walking around the store so you wouldn't have to be on camera. You could use captions at those key points like those bins being right in the way, or the layout suddenly being changed, or the bottleneck of people cause by two of them stopping to chat in a stupid place. Adjust the sound to show how intrusive the muzak is and how the whole experience puts you off. It's hard for me to make people understand me with words, sometimes showing them is easier. If going into the shop is too stressful is there anyone who could help you film it? You could reach a much bigger audience - I'd certainly share it on my Facebook page.

By the way, I do most of my shopping online now, including having Sainsbury's deliver. They say the internet is killing the high street, I say the high street is killing the high street and the internet has saved me! B)

It's odd you should mention a video where certain noises are enhanced - ie, they way they can sound to people on the spectrum - because I just did one today; not in a supermarket though (it was about how small noises like a clock can make listening to a person really difficult), however - I could do one, :)

I'd love to see the clock video. I can certainly relate to that. :)

This is a really interesting idea ebichu64.......and I love your video Willow-Tree.

I have a friend who is a film maker.....and she is also probably on the spectrum.....so this may be possible, and would make a very interesting topic, with the possibility of really promoting the idea.

I'll try and have a chat with her about it and see what she thinks :)

Watergirl.

I was hoping you knew someone like that! Happy dance and I really hope it happens. :D

Willow-tree

Oh, I so get that video! Especially when the people start talking.

It reminds me of when I've been in a noisy pub trying to listen to someone and I zone out. They'd think I was bored and get annoyed with me. I'd often end up sitting on the fringes, just drinking and listening to the jukebox instead of the conversation. I was putting it down to poor concentration caused by diabetes (I have that too)

The clock I can just about cope with, I think that's because it's a regular beat, but pen tapping or clicking drives me nuts! Once when someone was doing that I bit my own pen so hard it snapped.

Edited by ebichu64

A supermarket is a business out to make money, in reality it does not care about it's customers beyond their ability to buy their product so what happens in a supermarket is what psychologists have suggested is the best approach to the majority where the majority business is, where minorities are not really their concern although that still want your business.

Supermarkets I suffer being followed by security every time but then I am weird, I dress weird, I act weird, I am me and being me I am comfortable being me but regards the security what I enjoy so much is that whilst they are following me someone is getting away with crime which makes the security look incompetent which they are for conforming to a stereotype, where they believe people who are different are natural criminals.

But in supermarkets, it is headphones in and I am in a world of my own. But I rarely do the big supermarkets these days because they are too expensive, but that was the plan wasn't it, eradicate smaller shops, make it convenient with easy parking and then increase prices.

My friend doesn't appear to be around at present....possibly abroad, I know she was going away about now....so nothing happening yet re making a film, but hopefully I'll get to discuss this idea soon.

Sa Skimrande.....Yes, we all know why the supermarkets are in business, but they definitely wouldn't risk discrimination against people with a physical or otherwise obvious disability....I just think they may not have even realised that some of us struggle with their environment? I was just hoping to raise this awarenes.

Watergirl et al, you may be interested in supporting Pipedown - the campaign against piped music. This, lifted from their website, makes interesting reading:

Despite all the hype about differing types of music affecting people’s shopping habits, there is no genuine evidence to show that piped music increases sales by one penny. (Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose/John Lewis and Primark all thrive without wasting money on piped music.)

Pipedown has helped persuade Gatwick Airport to drop piped music in its public areas and Sainsbury and Tesco not to install piped music in their branches (except alas at Christmas). Recently Pipedown was behind decisions by Waterstones booksellers, the UK’s biggest booksellers’ chain, and the Nationwide Building Society, the largest building society, to phase piped music out of their respective branches gradually.

Edited by Aeolienne

How do you think I feel? Right now, all my web related devices are kept away from me and music is my life. All my music was put on my phone which the court legally took off of me.

Watergirl, Please post in black writing only to help people with sensory issues. Unable to read your post.

Thanks

Then shop in smaller stores or online. Even the local fruit and vegetable market can be cheaper.

Or sign up to a veggie box scheme!

I get my shopping online and can spend as much as £100 on fruit, which is crazy, but I love healthy food. I'm too agoraphobic to spend much time in busy places.

When I go for a walk, I quickly become tired. Maybe I need more exercise.