Sign in to follow this  
ash1990

help help help.... i need advice!!!

Right hello everyone...

I am stuck at the moment my little boy is going to be assesed within the next few months...

On wednesday i changed his room round and he slept fine the first night but since then he has woke every hour crying and wanting a bottle which is not him...

With his bottles the are a nightmare on there own as i will make him one he will sit or lay down drink a bit and stop for breath and need fresh milk puttin in everytime he stops for breath i dont unserstand why?? We are throwing away half a bottle of perfectly good milk at a time... He will not touch it if i only fill it up halfway.

Please sum1 have some advice xx

Hi Ash,

Welcome to the forum.

Right away I would say that changing his room is the reason he's having a freakout. A lot of people on the spectrum don't handle change like that too well, and from the sounds of it he's not handling the change at all.

I would suggest that you put the room back the way it was if there is no reason it can't go back that way, and let him see you do that or even let him help you so he feels like he is in control of his surroundings. His room is his haven, so making changes may not be a good idea. But if you need to make one, do it with him and explain why, and do it over time so he can get used to it.

The bottle thing is a bit more difficult. I would pretend i was filling the bottle up with new milk but really just be pouring the old milk in a cup and pouring it back in, but letting him see you top it up with new milk. Bit fiddly but hopefully that will work.

Hey thats what i said but it just made me wonder with him sleeping fine in it the first night but he was absokutely shatterd...

I hace tried that with his bottle and he nos as sune as he puts it in his mouth that its not out the carton its such a strange situation im wondering if its his senses as hes a hild that has very very particular taste like he wont eat bland food just very spicy or strong tasting... Im going to put his room back later im pretty worried as we are moving house in 6 weeks and dont no how hes gunna handle that if i cant even move his bed :s

it was his dad that changed his room round by the way as he is still very much unaware of what makes dylan tick hes got his head in the sand xxx

Glad to hear you are going to put the room back as it was, our kids just can't take 'change' I'm afraid as I've learnt over the years! Let us know how he gets on sleeping tonight. :-)

I have always had what I can only describe as 'delayed reactions' to changes and difficult or uncertain situations. I don't know if it's because often I can't identify readily how I am feeling and then suddenly 'whatever it is' that I'm feeling suddenly hits me after I've mulled it over for a while. Maybe something similar happened when your little boy had his room changed around? Another possibility is that he didn't sleep very well at all the first night either even though you thought he did.

Yeah he could ov had a delayed reaction to it my thought was that he was just that tierd he dint really notice it had changed...

Gunna go swap it now before he goes to bed fingers crossed he sleeps coz both me and daddy have to be up at 6 for work xx

It's another change :( . Might not take long to adapt back if it's as it was before but it has changed again. Did you explain to him that you were going to do it?

Yeah he did it with me and i told hin what and why i was doing it fingers crossed hes settled now just pray he gets a gud nights sleep bless him hes bin shattered xx

Let us tomorrow how he slept, I hope and pray you all get a good night's sleep :pray:

Below is a link to a You Tube interview with Olga Bogdashina. She has written a number of books about sensory perception in autism which give an insight into what those on the spectrum maybe experiencing and feeling.

I think her best advice is not to assume that any autistic individual experiences things as we do. They don't.

I went to a seminar given by her, and she showed a home video of her son. She had changed one item in the front room of her house - she had a chest of draws with tear drop handles, and she turned one of those handles up. Then she called her son into the room [who did not know that she had done anything], he walked straight over to the chest of draws and put the handle down and then asked his mum what she wanted!

My son is on the spectrum and is also diagnosed with a Sensory Processing Disorder. SPD is part of being on the spectrum and how it affects each individual is different, as is the severity of it. It affects the sight, sound, touch, taste, balance and co-ordination.

So, as an example, if your son processes things as a whole, rather than the constituent pieces, changing his room could make it totally unrecognisable. It may also take some time to process that. Or it could make his room appear 'familiar', yet unrecognisable and cause anxiety. It really is hard to know because we cannot step into someone elses' mind.

I would recommend reading one of her books. They are quite easy to read.

I will have to read the book it sounds pretty interesting...

Thats what first triggered our concerns his sensory issues as he will only eat really spicy food only drink out one bottle dusnt like things on his hands... Hes not bad with change i dint think he had problem with change at alltill we changed his room round and it sent him into a meltdown, as iv changed the front room and kitchen round before n he hasnt bothered...

Can this happen??

Thank you for the link i will have a good read and learn new things xx