Gary Beckwith

Autism Service Quality website to launch soon - Need help!

Hello everyone,

For those of you who read my last post, and to those who responded, I can tell you that I'm not too far off launching a new website for the autism community. I'm very excited, but have no clue if anyone else will be... :huh:

The site will enable users to communicate 'what matters most' to them when using any type of service, whether it be schools, diagnostic services, supported living services, hairdressers, employers etc... you get the picture. The outcome of collecting this information will aim to inform a wide range of service providers what they can do to be more 'autism friendly' (for want of a better expression). The hope is that services will then register on the site and open themselves up to be rated against the autism community's 'what matters most' (quality criteria). A bit like Trip Adviser where users can search for services in their area - but more personalised quality criteria.

I want to create a low budget (as it's all I can afford!) video for the homepage that explains the site's purpose and basic functions. I really need help with this so people will be drawn to the site. Here is an outline of my request:

What would be a good example for the video storyboard? In other words, what would be a typical service experience that you could provide some 'what matters most' criteria for easily e.g. pubs, and 'what matters most' criteria could be having a quiet area and visual menus for food? Other suggestions for any other type of service would be gratefully received.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone!

Thank you for reading this.

Gary

Best of Luck for your venture Gary :clap: .

I must admit Gary, I find this quite difficult with regards to trying to think of adaptations which could cover a wide range of issues affecting those with ASD. Perhaps it's because it's open ended and I'm not quite sure where to start.

If there's one thing that I would probably think straight off the top of my head is the strip lighting you find everywhere (maybe not quite so much now?). Our kitchen at home is quite dim - it is to the back of the house and doesn't get much natural daylight. We deliberately went for 'daylight' bulbs which I've found do replicate daylight quite well and don't have a buzz! Every workplace I've been in and most shops seem to have flourescent strip lighting and they are awful...glaring and buzzing... which does make you more stressed than you need to be!

Great example, Lyndalou, thank you!

I'm looking for any examples of people's experiences with a range of services i.e.

Leisure and Entertainment (pubs, theatres, restaurants, hotels etc)

Health and Social Care (diagnosis, GPs, residential support, therapies etc)

Transport (planes, trains, and automobiles etc)

Housing (associations, private landlords etc)

Financial (benefits system, banks etc)

Education (schools, FE etc)

Building Trades (finding and dealing with etc)

Employment (Jobcentre Plus, employer practices etc)

Other categories I've missed!

Examples can be as broad or specific as they are happy to share.