Sign in to follow this  
cathcart3303

Starting Fluoxetine

My son age 14 has finally seen the Psychiatrist today. It took one and a half hours to persuade him in to the car for the short journey. He kept his dressing gown over his head. I went into the centre and when the Psychiatrist called his name I told him he was in the car. He then came out and my son agreed to walk to his office (non verbally) with dressing gown over his head.

After an hour of chatting (not my son) the Psychiatrist said Fluoxetine 20mgs alternate days for a week and then daily to help the depression and also will help with anxiety. May go up to 60mgs daily for OCD but does not have that. If his sleep pattern is not improved he will think about Melatonin in the future.

Now I just have to get my son to take the medication...............

Thanks Special Talent.

I know that taking any medication is trial and error. Side effects are a big concern. But I guess we cannot go on as we have been. Everything is so limited now it is impacting on the whole family.

Fingers crossed this will help. :unsure:

Hi cathcart how is the medication going? My son Glen had fluoxetine about 3 years ago and it did seem to make a big difference for a few months, Glen was much happier in himself and less anxious, but like a lot of meds once you get immune to them they don't seem to work as well. Glen is now on mirtazipine another anti-depressant which seems to working quite well. Glen is much less anxious than he used to be, and much happier, just hope it lasts!

:whistle:

Haven't actually persuaded him to take it yet.

My husband thinks that he doesn't want to take it as he will eventually have to return to school and he doesn't want to go.

Anyone ideas in how to persuade him?

Hmm, tricky! All you can do is try to reassure him that he doesn't need to think about school, but that the medicine is going to help him towards having a happy life.

My son takes melatonin - but he seems happy to take it, probably because most of the time he can fight the effects of it!!

What is your son's sleep pattern like at the moment? My son's is a nightmare and constantly changing.

Special Talent, what issues did you have with melatonin?

Thanks for replies.

My sons sleep pattern is awake half the night but sleep all morning. He does not want to get out of bed. It is noisy in his room as there are birds nesting in the eaves. The Psychiatrist talked about Melatonin but if sleep pattern did not improve after Fluoxetine. He takes antihistamine which Dr thought could make him drowsy. May be I'll ask him what he thinks of Melatonin.

I need to find some motivation for him.

Good luck Cathcart. My son is same, awake half night and asleep all morning and not wanting to wake up. And then sometimes, if we've managed to push sleep pattern almost back to normal, he goes and stays awake 24 hours so that sleep pattern is all wrong again!