Sally44

Made an on-line Bank Payment in error

Not sure where to post this. And can't believe i've done this.

I went onto my on-line banking yesterday, and intended to move an amount of money from one of my accounts to another of my accounts.

By accident I have sent it as a payment to a name and building society number I don't even recognise.

My bank have said that they will contact the BS to see if they can return it. But they have said that there is no obligation on the receipient to return my money to me! And that if that happens the only thing I can do is contact the police.

But all I have is a name, sort code and bank account!

I'm just kicking myself now for doing this. And I wish I could remember who this person was and what I made a previous payment to them for. It must be years old because it doesn't ring any bells at all.

And this was a significant amount of money ie. my months wages. Feeling sick at the moment.

After some hours of going through files and receipts etc, I have managed to identify who this person is that I made the payment to. So now I am feeling better. At least I know where my money is. I think they are decent people and will return it. And if they don't I can give the police their details and I believe they would have to prove that I had sent the money to them in payment for something.

So now it is 4.30am. I'm going to be a zombie tomorrow. And I will be very very cautious of ever using internet banking again.

I'm glad you found out who you sent it to. I am terrified of online banking to be honest - it's all too easy to make a mistake. I've made small errors with my money before and I've felt just awful about it (mostly forgetting that some things renew monthly or yearly, and that I need to cancel them etc). It would make sense for them to have to prove that you were paying them for something, so hopefully the police could sort it if they don't just give it you back straight away.

I hate that in my online banking system, it saves 'contacts' so they're easy to pay next time...too easy!

Could you set up an automatic transfer to put money from one account of yours to the other by going into the bank itself? I've done that, also done a lot of my payments via DD or SO. Easy mistake to make, I nearly lost money last year but thankfully I got it recovered.

lol.

we've all done that.

stressful isn't it.

the best one I ever experienced was when my brother transferred his ex wifes alimony payment to me by accident.

me and him are completely scatty with crazy senses of humour,

so although I transferred it back instantly,

I knew he wasn't near a computer to confirm that,

& I wound him up all night, saying I was booking tickets to the Bahama's, buying myself a new lambo etc.

it was fun.

all the best

Edited by trekster