LolaP1986

Help with PIP form

Hi,

I was just wondering where I could get help/advice filling out PIP forms. I'm really bad with forms, and they took 2 weeks to arrive, so I don't have long left to send them back. The NAS welfare rights advisor is on holiday. I really don't know where to begin :(

Dear Lola,

You must be feeling so stressed; these forms are never easy.

The main piece of advice which is coming from many sources is that you need to answer according to what you go through on your worst day rather than a typical or better day. This in itself is really hard as it makes you focus on the negatives, but you have to in order to give yourself the best chance of a successful claim.

If you haven't done so already, start with the basics; the questions about your personal details, doctor etc just to get you through the barrier of making a start and get you used to the feeling of completing the form. Then look at each question in turn; try not to stress yourself out even more by thinking too far ahead. It doesn't matter if you repeat yourself or if your answers don't seem to "flow"; they are looking for your difficulties in your own words and if possible, examples. Make sure you emphasise all of the effects your conditions have on you, including tiredness and taking longer to do things. Imagine yourself doing whatever the question is asking you about; think of the times you have done it recently or any times which stand out in your memory because it was particularly hard or went wrong in some way. Imagine yourself telling someone you trust about it; this will help you to find the words to express it on the form. Take breaks when you need to and then go back over what you have written to see if it makes you remember anything else. If you cannot get help in time, make sure you tell them this.

You should allow yourself some kind of treat after filling in the form as it does leave you feeling low and drained; you deserve a reward for having tackled it, including having the courage and initiative to ask for help on here; well done.

If you feel there is some aspect of your difficulties which you have not had the chance to cover on the form itself, write it on a separate sheet but make sure you put your name and National Insurance number on any extra sheets in case they become separated from the rest of your form in the office.

I have a thread called Coping Strategies Guides in the Help and Advice section; the guide to claiming ESA in that may help you to get some pointers as many of the principles in it also apply to claiming PIP.

Do feel free to message me if you want to ask about anything in private.

Very best wishes,

Aviemorticia x

Aviemorticia,

Thank you so much for your response. That's really helpful. I have DSA needs assessment tomorrow, which I'm feeling quite stressed about, but I have had a lot of help in regards to that. Feeling a lot more alone with the PIP. I will check out your thread as well. Perhaps the needs assessment will focus me somewhat as well?

:)

How did your DSA needs assessment go? I hope that you got someone with a good understanding of autism and a willingness to listen to how you are affected. Talking through your needs would be good practice for filling in the PIP form. I hope it has been a helpful experience which will have positive results for you :-)

Needs assessment was really helpful actually. She was very nice and very understanding. I've had a lovely friend help a little with the PIP form, so I've at least made a start. However someone smashed my car windscreen last night, so I'm feeling stressed/upset about that, so I've been thrown off at little, but back to it once I have everything sorted!!

Oh no :o that's the last thing you needed, more stress! I hope whoever did that gets caught!

However I am really glad you got a lot out of the needs assessment and support from a good friend. It is so much better to have someone actually there with you to go through the forms. I really admire you for thinking so positively after the setback with the vandalism. Here's to you :cheers: xx

You know, I figure I'm lucky to have a car to get vandalised in the first place...so it's not all bad! There are many who face much much greater challenges everyday, and what an inspiration they are!