Fluffy

Propranolol

Yes I am on proponal not easy to get but I have panic attacks daily so got put on these to help my heart beat slower down they help but they are addictive so I try not to rely on them all the time so I try and take when as needed.

Anyone try Propranolol? How easy was it to get from the NHS?

Did it reduce anxiety long term and did it improve working memory?

I take propanol in addition to amyltriptiline and diazepam, which is even harder to get. I think they are more willing to hand out the propanols because they are not addictive like the diazepam are. I described to the gp how at the beginning of my anxiety attacks I feel my heart race and that's when things get ugly. so he prescribed these for me quite readily to ease physical symptoms of anxiety as well as the amyltiptine

if I know im going somewhere where im likely to have an attack then I can take 1-4 of these up to 4 times daily and I generally take 2 and its fine as a preventitve like when going to town or shopping where its busy.

the diazepam I keep for when its too late for preventitves and I need something stronger. however the gp's monitor these strictly and you have to prove you can be reasonable with them or have someone else look after them as I do

I don't see why the gp wouldn't give you the propranolol unless it would interfere with any other meds you take for other things, my doctor seemed to think I had a well researched opinion of why I thought they would help me. they just leave that on my repeat prescription and I take them 'as and when'

Hi, I was prescribed propranolol years ago for panic attacks and they helped me dramatically. If I had an attack or felt one coming I would take one and the attack was prevented. After a while it was enough for my brain to know they worked and as long as I had them near me the attacks stopped. It's all in our heads. I didn't find them addictive, just necessary for a while. I was recently prescribed again for irregular heartbeat just as I fall asleep and they worked again, I have them if I need them but haven't for a while. As for Diazepam I took, abused them for over ten years to help anxiety after binge drinking weekends, seemed to be the only thing that worked for me until I was drug tested for a job. I quit them as they had stopped working anyway , and my drinking took off. I am in AA now 17 months sober.

I would stress I am not a doctor nor am I advising u to take or not take medication. That is a matter for a professional. I am just sharing my experience in the hope u get something out of it.

I wish u well, it's been a long time since I had a panic attack and I don't miss them.

All the best.

Hi, I was prescribed propranolol years ago for panic attacks and they helped me dramatically. If I had an attack or felt one coming I would take one and the attack was prevented. After a while it was enough for my brain to know they worked and as long as I had them near me the attacks stopped. It's all in our heads. I didn't find them addictive, just necessary for a while. I was recently prescribed again for irregular heartbeat just as I fall asleep and they worked again, I have them if I need them but haven't for a while. As for Diazepam I took, abused them for over ten years to help anxiety after binge drinking weekends, seemed to be the only thing that worked for me until I was drug tested for a job. I quit them as they had stopped working anyway , and my drinking took off. I am in AA now 17 months sober.

I would stress I am not a doctor nor am I advising u to take or not take medication. That is a matter for a professional. I am just sharing my experience in the hope u get something out of it.

I wish u well, it's been a long time since I had a panic attack and I don't miss them.

All the best.

17 months well done! I understand how people on the spectrum can have addictions. in search for the answer to my problems I have tried many different types of meds trying to pass as having a 'normal' life.

I am hoping that diagnosis and groups meetings will help my anxiety calm down. I have all manner of panic attacks especially in busy places.

I do not find the propranolol to be addictive at all, however feeling calm and more normal is highly addicitive and it would be easy to claim addiction for anything which helps one to feel 'better'

Panic attacks always pass, if they go on for more than 15 mind the body senses a threat and shuts them down, I found that helpful I remember. As far as the propranolol it's better to have one u don't need than need one u don't have. The panic attacks will stop for good when the time comes.

Good luck.