Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Sugar shots every morning

Lots of kids in general do, don't they? I think you have a tendency to generalize an awful lot about what AS kids do and do not like, if I may say so. Even if four or five parents say yes, what does that prove?

~ Mel ~

I think you have a tendency to generalize an awful lot about what AS kids do and do not like, if I may say so.

I'm not denying this although nowhere do I generalise about AS anywhere near as much as most NAS branch officers do as I'm the one who often ends up pointing out the differences and diversity - like not all kids are good at maths or stim in particular ways.

AS is at the moment only a superficially researched topic and it can be difficult to identify what are myths and misconceptions.

My son has ketotic hypoglycaemia (yes at 16, when they're meant to grow out of it by 8). It was only diagnosed after many many episodes where it was presumed to be a cardiac issue causing his symptoms and noone tested his blood sugars. He has a very fast metabolism and has to eat every couple of hours. What was odd to me and I've not found any real research to show this, but a doctor at the time of his worst episode (when he was finally diagnosed) said it was linked to autism. This was years before we got him diagnosed, but came about when we discussed his "odd" behaviours in hospital and I mentioned we thought he might be autistic. A few years ago I did find an online article, a proper peer reviewed medical one, stating correlations (not causation or proven connection) between KH and other conditions and one they listed was autism. Since then all I've found have been on sites that I can't really credit as proper evidence. Anyway, all that aside, hypoglycaemia can make them crave sugar in early stages (before they get to the vomiting cycle and plummet). I would love to see some proper research into the link (or lack of it, either way).