Babypikelin

Just found out I might be a aspie

Hello Ive just joined and was hoping to have some people who understand to talk to.

My sister has always said theres something wrong with me lol!

I have been reading The Asperkid's (secret) Book of Social Rules by Jennifer Cook O'Toole and it made a lot of things that have gone on in my life make sense!

Im 26 and was wondering if its a good idea to get a proper diagnoses? Ive had a lot of help with other mental health problems (which now seem seriously linked with Aspergers) and Im worried about going back there and taking more of their time, is it a long and expensive (to them) process?

Thanks for the help

:)

I am no expert, just a mother with a 13 year old Aspie boy, but my thoughts are if you think it will help you in any way and it may lead to more help for you now and in the future, then go ahead and get a diagnosis. These people are there to help you and their time and the expense should not worry you in the slightest.

One point I will make is I have heard it is more difficult to get a diagnosis as an adult than a child, but someone else would need to advise you there as mine are both under 18, so have not experienced it.

Since my youngest has been diagnosed he is so much happier as others are now more understanding of him, including myself.

I hope this helps in some way and I wish you every happiness and good luck........it was a very slow process going through diagnosis (10 months for us)!

heya , sorry to seem nosey hun but can I personally pry for a reason , what mental health issues did you have ? that you feel are linked ,connected with AS? ( depression,anxiety)?

XKLX

Access to diagnosis depends on where you live. It shouldnt be. It shouldnt cost you anything but I know that some NHS Boards try not to get involved. Your GP should know where/how to refer you. RCGPs have made ASD one of their clinical priorities for 2013-2015. They have access to e modules re adults with ASD. Additionally new NICE guidelines have been published re diagnosis. It should be multi disciplinary and accessable. There`s no excuse for adults not to have access to diagnostic assessment. There`s also good information on how to diagnose for Psychiatrists on their website. Me? Off on one? You bet!

Hello and welcome

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/advanced-search/search-results/cid=80~aid=1~dt=c~pg=1.aspx

That's what the NAS has listed as diagnostic places.

http://www.autism.org.uk/About-autism/All-about-diagnosis/Diagnosis-information-for-adults.aspx

How to get a diagnosis.

Edited by trekster

Hi everyone i was recently diognosed with Asperges and i have today joined very nervously as i would like very much to meet and make some friends as i am very lonely and am trying to cope with this alone,it would be really nice to make some friends.

I'm going through the thought process now of whether to get dx or not, so will read this thread with interest.

history of anxiety,depression and an eating disorder.

Hi I am in the same position I have been diagnosed with social phobia and depression however most of these can be categorized in asp so I am slightly relieved I may at least start making some friends hopefully I am 19

when i was younger, what people said mattered?

but now I'm older, I've seen how those people who advised me have faired?

...and I've noticed they have not faired very well?

in terms of them or us aspies?

I've noticed they haven't done so well.

so these days... i just say what ever!