Aeolienne

TUC guide to autism in the workplace

The TUC have published a guide, Autism in the workplace, written by RMT officer Janine Booth. I met the author in real life at a workshop she ran on this topic. That was back in February 2013, held at the WEA offices near London's Old Street Station. Future workshops may be held on the same topic - look here for contact details.

The guide is available to download here. There are three places in the document where I'm convinced Janine has drawn on my own experiences, namely:

"NTs often ... laugh when there is no obvious joke ('Terrible weather - ha ha ha!')" (page 11)

"The first line manager to be informed of my Asperger's reacted by recommending that I be excluded from presenting results at conferences, on the grounds that I didn't give a 'favourable impression'." (page 20)

"Do not allow union meetings to be dominated by jargon and cliquey banter." (page 42)

Janine announced on Facebook today:

I am writing a handbook for changing workplaces to make them more autism-friendly, to be published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers. Alongside other research, I am keen to include direct input from autistic people about experiences with work. If you are autistic, and you would be willing for me to interview you (by email, in person, or in whatever format you prefer), please email me janine dot booth at btopenworld dot com. Please feel free to pass this message on to others.