Hi everyone. I am mum to a 25 year old son who has not had any formal diagnosis but seems to have all the traits of aspergers. GP unable to help with getting an NHS diagnosis as he was investigated as a child and now we are trying to find ways of getting a private diagnosis.

He spends all his time on the computer and doesn't have any friends. He has been in and out of work and currently unemployed. It would be really good to hear from other people in this position.

Hi I'm jack , I've recently been diagnosed with aspergers , well with asd I have real trouble telling people how I feel but we managed to get an agreement where I could write down what was going on and give it to my gp , they are making things much more well known now , I'm receiving support now and feel I'm moving forward , I would be happy to speak to my friend she calls tomorrow on how you would go about it if that helps ?

Welcome Cadburygirl what county are you in as I could look up under the NAS to see how adults get diagnosed.

thank you Jack and Trekster for your replies, it is nice to know that someone is listening.

Jack - thanks for your kind offer, yes if you could speak to your friend that would be really helpful to me. My son Chris has been to his GP but she could not help as the hospital were not interested in diagnosing him as I suppose they are concentrating on the young children who might have it and as Chris was already "looked at" when he was in junior school they think there is no point.

Trekster - I like in Buckinghamshire. I tried calling NAS and was on hold for half an hour before a message told me to contact them through their website as they were busy. I did this over 6 weeks ago and still not reply from them. it is very frustrating. Chris went to see his GP last December who said she would write to them but she never got a reply. Chris has followed up with Dr's receptionist numerous times but what can you do?

Hi Cadburygirl, and welcome. I don't understand why the GP won't refer for a dx, there could be a long waiting list but being investigated in childhood shouldn't be a reason not to look into it. Is it worth going back and being more insistent about being put on the waiting list? There are many people who get dx'd in their 40s and 50s so it isn't just children. Is your lad hoping to access support services by gaining a dx? I'm sorry to say there isn't much out there for adults, if I'm honest. What does he do to fill his days?

Good luck.

~ Mel ~

Hi Cadburygirl, and welcome. I don't understand why the GP won't refer for a dx, there could be a long waiting list but being investigated in childhood shouldn't be a reason not to look into it. Is it worth going back and being more insistent about being put on the waiting list? There are many people who get dx'd in their 40s and 50s so it isn't just children. Is your lad hoping to access support services by gaining a dx? I'm sorry to say there isn't much out there for adults, if I'm honest. What does he do to fill his days?

Good luck.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel, thanks for the message. the GP asked for a referral but she got a letter back from the hospital saying that the investigations previously done were inconclusive and they weren't willing to re-investigate. I expect it is due to a lack of money and as I said before they would prefer to spend their funds on helping younger kids who maybe are going through investigations for the first time. this is why we are looking at a private diagnosis but even trying to get that seems to be hard. yes we hope he would get more support by getting a diagnosis expecially as we won't be around forever to help him. he was working earlier this year but got let go after 6 weeks even though he had been up front with the employer about his various traits beforehand. So now at the moment he is just constantly on the computer at home and getting more and more fed up.

It's a rotten situation, I do know. Has he thought of charity work, just to keep him active and getting out there? Would look good on his CV and help him to get some confidence back maybe?

~ Mel ~

It's a rotten situation, I do know. Has he thought of charity work, just to keep him active and getting out there? Would look good on his CV and help him to get some confidence back maybe?

~ Mel ~

I'm afraid Chris is not very pro-active or motivated and this has got worse over the past couple of years as he lost job after job.....he is also opinionated and difficult to persuade to do certain things (like voluntary work) but we will keep plugging away!