maaya

adult diagnosis nightmare

Hi

I have just completed the ADOS assessment and had my mum (I'm 42!) Interviewed, as well as my husband. I found the whole process extremely anxiety provoking. My mum seems completely dismissive of the whole idea as does my husband so I ve been feeling very unsupported. Its making me feel like I have been making all my problems up. When my husband spoke to the psychiatrist it felt like he was talking about another person not me. He denied I had specific routines and obsessions when I know I do and he also said I was fine talking to people when I so am not!! I am now anxiously waiting for the report and am finding the wait agonising I hate not having the answer. I just think the diagnosis would explain so much of my problems instead of having multiple mental health labels. Am wondering if anyone else had these issues when diagnosed as an adult?

I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Hi,

My husband undertook the ADOS assessment three years ago. He was 52 and he had similar issues. His mother (who was 80) could not really remember what he was like as a child and I was not as helpful as I should have been (due to problems in the relationship). The doctors, however, understood the complexities surrounding adult assessment, and my husband received his diagnosis. I am really glad that he did, because it has provided me with a framework within which to understand my husband's issues and it has helped me to find ways of modifying my own behaviour.

So please don't worry, observations from parents and partners are only part of the assessment.