Sign in to follow this  
dotmarsdotcom

what??? appearing in google search index?

my concern...

I typed my user name for this site into Google search just now,

and threads I posted *here* appeared in the search list..

I'm of the feeling that comments typed in here,

....are of a special "personal" nature, and are only intended for *readers of this web site*

fortunately, I created a unique user name that I only use with this web site (because I'm a bit wise to this sort of stuff.)

but I am concerned that there are other users who use the same username across a variety of websites?

...and they might not wish people they know from other websites,

to see their personal comments here.

(i.e. they might not wish contacts from other sites to know they (or their family/ friends) have certain conditions?

In all fairness I will have to state I am not sure if google's access to this sites archive is anything the site owners can control or do anything about?

(I know certain very old versions of the software used by some forum based web sites are very insecure, and it's often too costly to convert.)

but in the interests of transparency I feel it appropriate that people should be aware of this issue?

I would appreciate a comment from the administration about this.

if the site admin require assistance to stop their thread database being exposed to external search indexes, I am more than happy to help

(for free! I.e. I'm not making this suggestion to try to get money.)

other than this, I find the web site fantastic.

all the best.

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

i have subsequently reviewed this matter,

and it could potentially be that only the front page of this web site is scanned by goggles web crawler index (which I don't think the site can avoid?)

(i've made a lot of posts here, and only the front page one's appear on goggles search index when i looked)

so i think that is most likely?

if the admin of this site asks, I'll advice them how to stop that.

but other than that in terms of practical advice, fellow users,

....use a unique username on here if you don't want to be cross referenced from other sites you might use? :-)

and i will re- say, other than this minor problem, i find this web site fantastic!

all the best.

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

I knew of another forum that somehow managed to block googlebots. I'm sure it's possible, but I've no idea how you'd do it.

Yes, it is certainly possible to block Google searches. Is there any way to directly notify the moderators/admins? The moderator email address seems to be broken...

Edited by Laddo

I'd like to restate that since I realised it's just the front page of this web site that is index exposed,

I no longer feel distressed about it.

I mean every web site has to have a front page, for people to log into,

and that front page of course is open. technically it has to be.

I was just a bit shocked at the time to see my name at the top of a google search I did,

because I like to feel I'm only typing in my replies to people on this site who understand what it's like to have (or people who know folks who have) certain conditions,

...and not the general universe!

sorry to of caused any trouble.

regards