Sign in to follow this  
dotmarsdotcom

spooky places

this is another one of my attempts to start a new thread...

is anyone into places that are alleged to be genuinely haunted?

i'm not talking about the tv show stuff that is just pumped out to the masses, but has no substance, and is all fake.

i'm talking about what folks allege to be the real deal.

has anyone had any experiences, or heard of places that are worth visiting...

i'm usually sceptical about it all,

but there was one house i heard about that sounds interesting.

i believe it was bought by a rich dude, about five years ago. maybe a footballer or someone like that?

he and his family ended up having so much trouble with it, he returned the keys to the bank who gave him the mortgage.

he was a very credible man, awash with cash.

but he decided he didn't want to live there any more.

his wife was getting too freaked out. she'd pass rooms and see her kids there, but then go up the stairs and see them in bed??

i've also heard stories of when the house was unoccupied, the security guards would do a days work, and then quit, and not claim their wages? (who wouldn't claim their wages???)

in short, it just seemed like a very credible place to maybe be genuinely haunted.

the owner had no reason to abandon the place. it was a fantastic building, in an idilic setting, but he did, and considering it must of lost him several million to do so?

i think i'd like to go there to see what's happening. i'm curious like that and i have no fear.

does anyone remember the place i'm talking about. it was in the main stream press about four or five years ago. i believe it has/ had an octagonal conservatory, was in a very remote little village in the uk, and i believe was in viewing distance of a very old church?

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

in a similar genre just to fire up stuff for topics of conversation,

i'm quite curious about the Winchester house.

the story goes, a woman married into a family that designed the Winchester repeating rifle?

and she felt so guilty of the death and destruction that the weapon caused, she felt compelled too build a house that had space in it for everyone killed by that weapon her family had invented?

she was clearly insane, but i bet that house has some spooky atmosphere at night :-)

I can't remember reading about the place you mentioned but it sounds very interesting!

I have been to a house that is supposed full of ghosts, including two young girls, but never experienced any paranormal activity. I often wonder about places that are supposedly haunted - I'm curious as to whether most "ghost sightings" are actually just paranoia or if there really is some kind of "footprint" left by people when they die. I'm sort of on the fence about the whole thing.

I would definitely like to check out some more supposedly haunted places though!

So would I! I once stayed overnight a few times at an almost derelict but still inhabited old manor house - a perfect place for a ghost, but I never saw anything. I've visited many old houses which are reputed to be haunted but only as a tourist and during daylight. I've had a few personal ghostly experiences too, so I'm convinced that they exist. I also experienced a poltergeist over a few weeks, and long since I came to the conclusion that I may have caused it.

I'm attracted to numinous places where I can sense an 'atmosphere'. I like graveyards simply because they are quiet, peaceful places where nature is never far away. Reading the inscriptions makes me very aware of our fleeting time on earth.

hi folks,

sorry I've not got back to this thread sooner.

been helping someone move in the "off line" world, so been a bit knackered most nights, and to tired to come on line.

it is quite an interesting subject isn't it, all this spooky stuff :-)

I still wish I could remember the name of the place I mentioned in my initial posting.

I was hoping someone might of recalled it?

I can remember at the time being fascinated by the place, due to the credibility of the owner who refused to live there anymore, and the way it appeared to be the genuine McCoy so to speak.

If it helps anyone else remember the place, I believe before the rich guy and his family bought it, it was hired out for weddings. etc.

I remember looking at the places old web site a few years back when it was used for the wedding business.

reply to laddo

I'm of the same sentiment.

I would love to see or witness something "other worldly" with my own eyes, where their is 100% no doubt.

I'm agonistic about the subject.

"i want to believe"

if I can eventually remember this place I was thinking of, I think you'd be impressed by it's credentials. I think it's a definately on the tick list for a over night stay.

reply to Michaela

I've had a few personal experiences myself, but alas in the cold light of day, I've always been able to rationalise them.

I'd love to have a spooky experience where I can't do that, and it's just clear cut... "other worldly" and that's all there is to it.

& I know what you mean about graveyards.

around here it's quite common to find overgrown grave yards, where the church they were associated with has been long since become undersubscribed and hence knocked down :-(

but the grave stones are there, often very old stones.

I like to go there (in the most respectful way) and remember those who have been forgotten.

such places are always peaceful, and I never feel any "odd vibes" from such places

I wonder if there is anything to be said for consecrated ground?

I guess old abandoned grave yards, if still consecrated could never have anything spooky happen?

all the best.

It's not whether I want to believe, for I'd always submit to scientiic proof whether one way or the other. Truth simply is - it's eternal, irrefutable, but often very elusive. (I think it was Plato who said that it lay at the bottom of a well).

The uncomfortable facts so far are that science has been unable to disprove the existence of ghosts and other paranormal phenomena. (Parapsychology is one of my interests) It makes feeble attempts to do so, but on close scrutiny they all prove to be flawed and biassed - which is itself unscientific. Academia is good at this kind of 'clever' deception for they have vested interests to maintain.

My own experiences all seemed very real at the time. The presence I experienced one night while staying at a friend's was very real. I was wide awake trying to get to sleep in a room normally used as a children's playroom, but had once been their bedroom. The light was off and my eyes closed, when I sensed that very familiar 'coldness' in the core of my body (which always happens at these times). Soon after, I heard distinct heavy footsteps coming slowly and diagonally across the room, from the door to a corner where there was a big box of toys. I instinctively knew that what I could hear wasn't a living person. I heard a lot of rummaging in the toy box and was too terrified to open my eyes. Somehow I managed to reach out and feel for the bedside lamp. As soon as the lamp was on the coldness and noises ceased, and when I opened my eyes there was nothing odd to be seen. For the rest of the night I left the light on. I never stayed there again.

The following morning, my host asked if I'd had a good night. I told her about the ghost, and she said: "Oh, so you've heard it too!" It turned out that her children had also heard it and had long refused to sleep in that room.

This puts to bed (!) any notion that I'd been dreaming, although I knew 100% that I hadn't. By the way, I also have regular lucid dreams - I can control them and decide to fully wake up at any point within them. My dreams are often so beautiful and interesting that I don't want to wake up. I've never had a nightmare. Is this an aspie thing?

As for consecrated ground - an interesting point. I sense that feeling of consecrated ground in all numinous and many liminal places - I don't mean literally in the religious sense, but in some way hallowed by 'good' intent at some time in the distant past. Similarly, we can sense the opposite at places where murders and massacres, etc. took place. A family friend had once survived the horrors of Ravensbrück concentration camp, and I was brought up on her stories. I can imagine such places retain their atmosphere for centuries, yet as far as I know, they don't attract stories of ghosts. Why not?

Edited by Mihaela

Dotmarsdotcom: If you remember the name of the place you're thinking of, please do let me know! I too get strange vibes from places that I can't quite put my finger on. It's a similar kind of presence I feel when someone is standing very close to me - almost a 'heat', so to speak. My Mum's house is supposedly haunted and although I have never actually seen anything properly, I have seen some odd moments of unexplained activity. For example, spoons will quite frequently go flying out of pans on the stove even when they are in such a position that this would impossible to happen through gravity alone. It's most peculiar. Even more bizarrely, things like this seem to happen a lot wherever I am. Perhaps I'm haunted by something?

Mihaela: That sounds like a terrifying experience! I would never stay there again either. As for dreams, I am similar: I have vivid, lucid dreams nearly every single time I fall asleep. In fact, I fainted from lack of food at the train station the other day and despite the fact I can't have been out for more than 10 seconds I immediately began to dream. Luckily I realised what was happening and tore myself away from the dream. It genuinely feels like I have to forcibly remove myself from dreams sometimes. My usual dreams tend to be quite dull most of the time and things are always left unfinished (never pick up lottery winnings or something equally daft) but I also rarely get nightmares. I get quite frequent recurring anxiety dreams where I have to climb through a tiny hole into a cellar filled with cobwebs. (I am terrified of spiders so this would be horrific for me!) I know the dream must mean something but haven't worked out what. I don't know if frequent dreaming is an aspie thing but I think it is common in visual thinkers.

Back on topic, I am of the opinion that there is more to consciousness than just electrical impulses buzzing around our nervous system. I believe there is some kind of unknown force that keeps us thinking and aware of ourselves and our surroundings. I'm not necessarily saying that it is anything divine or anything like that but it is very possible it is a yet undiscovered energy, just like gravity was once unknown to mankind. We think we know everything these days but we are still very much in the dark as to most of the workings of the universe. Anyway, if such an energy exists within us then it is possible that an 'imprint' may be left after a sentient being dies which can manifest itself as sound or light, hence hearing and seeing 'ghosts'. After all, electricity manifests itself in different ways depending on different situations, taking on different shapes and sounds. So could this not be possible with other energies that we haven't discovered yet?

hi again folks,

great posts.

I've enjoyed reading about your experiences and feelings.

I'd love to experience stuff like that for myself. it would be so cool.

I would have no worries about sleeping over night in spooky places if I thought there was a lightly hood it of being the "real deal"

(to my knowledge no one has ever been *physically* harmed by an "other worldly" experience, so what's the worst that could happen? I'd just get a little scared but awesomely fascinated at the same time :-)

obviously it would be better to have a person equally interested in the subject to camp out with, just for the sake of safety in potentially remote places, but I'd go it alone if I had to.

it's just a shame that all the experiences I had have, I've managed to rationalise away.

I would just love to have an experience where I couldn't do that, and I envy you folks if you have had such a situation.

"there are more things in heaven and hell than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - said Shakespeare, in hamlet, so I try to listen to that and always remain open.

since you folks have been candid, and shared- I'll share an experience I had if it's ok.

(I've subsequently rationalised it but let me know what you think if you like?)

my experience goes as follows -

Back when I was younger I was a bit of a drinker (like most kids I guess :-)

ok. that's probably an understatement. i was a lot of a drinker ;-) but that's not the point of the story,

the point is I ended up in a bar one night, too drunk to drive home.

I'd spent all my money on booze, so I couldn't afford a taxi or even the bus ride home lol (I lived in a little village about 5 miles away from the town I was drinking in.)

a fella who I'd be playing pool with for some of the night heard me laughing about my "long walk home" & said I could crash back at his squat if I wanted.

it was that or sleep in the park, so I took him up on his offer.

his squat turned out to be an enormous really old building on the outskirts of town, which was in the process of being restored and refurbished.

he had a deal with the work men, he could pit the night if he needed to, so long as he was gone before 7am.

(I've subsequently noticed that about workmen on restoration projects.. they are always very compassionate to the homeless, and i admire them for that!)

so anyway, Geoff told me to pick a room. it was a massive place, there were about thirty or more of them .

after playing cards with him for a bit to be sociable, I went off, picked a room, and pitted down.

about half an hour later, when I was just drifting off to sleep- from the next room, I heard the most terrible commotion.

Shouting, screaming, banging. i could feel the vibrations through the floor boards of something really weird happening next door.

but I figured... if this is the local squat, then it isn't just me and Geoff using it. probably loads of others are as well & it's just a couple of druggies having an argument over a deal, or what ever. if I leave them alone they'll leave me alone.

& I'd had so much drink that night, I just dismissed it and it was easy to zonk out.

next morning, I heard Geoff in the corridor shouting me out, telling me we had to leave soon, before the work men doing the restoring arrived.

As me and him were leaving the building (through the un boarded window lol.) I said to him, shall we make sure the fellas next door to me are ok?

his face went white. something in his face just told me he knew something.

I'm sure you can imagine the rest.

he told me that he wished I hadn't chosen that room to sleep in. he said no one sleeps "near that one."

& he took me back inside... down the hall way to the room next to the one I'd slept in, and opened the door. (he knew which side? without me saying!?!)

the room had no floor. by that I mean no floor boards. it was all ripped up. all the old flooring was shattered and just thrown around everywhere.

it would not of been physically possible for anyone to spent the night in that room, an also illogical for any squatter to of chosen it!, considering there were 30 other rooms in the building much more comfortable to pit in.

Geoff told me none of the work men go in that room anymore. "there's some ###### going on in there. we've all heard it."

"hums the tune to the twilight zone"

weird eh?

all the best.

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

Whoa, that sounds freaky! I don't think I would be able to live/squat there if that was a regular thing - God knows how Geoff managed to stay there every night. You're right about how otherworldly creatures probably won't be able to hurt us but the sheer weirdness of it would terrify me I think. Still though, I want to stay the night at somewhere supposedly haunted at least once. I would be up for camping with you somewhere but I think I live quite far from you. No one on this forum seems to live near me unfortunately

hi again laddo,

thanks for the reply.

yes it did occur to me later on, that Geoff had selected "his bedroom" to be the one the furthest away from "that room" for a very good reason. lol

re: the camp out

sounds cool to me. the more the merrier.

if any of us on here , ever locate a place that really looks like the "real deal" (so it wouldn't be a waste of all our times,) I'm sure it would be worth a bit of travelling to experience.

talking of the "real" deal-

re: the haunted place I mentioned a few posts back (that appeared to have decent credentials,)

...I've been fortunate enough to recall the place (after a bit of searching on the bbc web site.)

the place is called "Clifton Hall", and it's in Nottinghamshire.

it is extensively mentioned all over the internet if anyone is interested in reading up on it (just google to get all the links.)

I've be curious to know if anyone else has heard of it,

& what they think about it (even if they've not heard of it before?)

& even better would be hearing from anyone who is local to it, and maybe even been inside?

all the best.