Laddo

Western/white culture - a controversial thread

If it's nature rather than nurture then most of the ideals about equality developed since the late 19th century will be discredited if a person's, or a tribe's general, strengths weaknesses virtues and vices are literally hard wired into their genetic code.

This is a very contentious statement but IF the phenomena of underperformance of black people academically and their propensity of them to engage in street crime in Britain is largely down to genetic traits then it will completely overturn prevailing theories supported by establishment political parties and academia since the 1960s that they are the result of poverty, ingrained racism, and lack of positive role models. It will also discretic the Scarman report of 1981 following the riots in Brixton.

Something I have noticed over the years is an almost complete absence of black people with AS and HFA. It is possible that AS and HFA does not natively exist in certain races - possibly Native Americans and Pacific Island races as well as sub-Saharan Africans.

I don't think that statement is correct as ive been to a special school that had children of all races on the autistic spectrum, maybe it is to do with population percentage in any one area rather than a genetic reason. I can only speak from experience.

The anti-semitism stops now.

The racism stops now.

People being dickheads isn't down to the colour of their skin. It's down to them being dickheads. End of.

The anti-semitism stops now.

Is the discussion of certain traits commonly associated with Ashkenazi Jews and whether it is down to nature or nurture, along with Jewish history not permitted on this forum because it is deemed anti-semitic?

I'm responding to several complaints coming directly into my inbox. The moderator you felt we were all swayed by isn't on the forum anymore and hasn't been for a long time, however we do have many people of the Jewish faith from several backgrounds who have felt extremely uncomfortable at the tone that the discussion has taken. Which is why I've kind of waded into this a bit emotionally reactively.

Having read over the entire thread, and taken some time to think about it rationally - I can see both sides of the issue, and feel it's probably best that if you want to discuss things like this to make it very clear that this is an intellectual discussion - and not a soapbox for your ideological beliefs if that's what they are. If you do have issues with Jewish people(and I'm definitely not saying you do), it's not really cool to be so vocal about it on a forum that's supposed to be a relatively safe place. I, nor anyone else aren't going to censor you or anything like that - but maybe this isn't the place for it.

It might actually be an idea going forward to have a debate thread similar to the one at Asperclick, and tag it appropriately so that you can discuss things like this to your hearts content and not worry about offending anyone. If you like, I can set it up.

Rampant capitalism that causes people to step on anyone they see as less than them, constant stress and no rest, gossiping about each other and turning us against each other - all very white ideologies.

As most of these existed long before capitalism it is not the only source but does have a huge impact on modern living.

Other cultures still actually have a concept of community, but what do we have?

Concept of and active communities. Yes these still thrive across much of white cultures.

Nothing. We live in huge, anonymous cities where hardly anyone knows each other.

Cities are much more complex organisms and concepts of community can be much more fluid. Without doubt though city life can be much more stressful and it is easier to become disengaged.

Friendships now revolve around work. This is not healthy!

This has been the case certainly for much of the last three hundred years, if not before. Many communities were built around different industries where people lived close to each other. Considering the amount of time spent with those you work with it is not surprising friendships often revolve around work.

With cities where you can travel great distances to get to work and the workforce is found on a much larger geographical area this is where the complexities of city life can play a negative role. Different work patterns can make friendships more difficult. For example I worked 12 hour night shifts for 10 years including most of the bank holidays which made maintaining friendships difficult.

And yet we are expected just to deal with it, act as if it's a natural progression of humanity when in reality, it's the fault of various global corporations being too greedy.

While global corporations have a lot to answer for I don't believe they can be blamed for this. London was a city long before capitalism and larger communities are the result of a growing population and people living longer.

Also we each have choices we can make. I have been involved in my local community for many years. While people moan about the loss of community it is often by those who cannot be bothered to be part of the community. I lived on a council estate where residents run their own affairs, deciding on the standards of repairs, what services or activities are available on the estate etc. Yet very few get involved. At one meeting I offered to bring in independent help so residents could decide what information they wanted us to report on to make the board and organisation more open and accountable, though I had made changes towards doing this. No one was interested. It is often easier to sit back and criticise than get involved.

That said I love the local community as it does look out for itself and each other. It is far from unique.