Laddo

Working with autistic people

This is a career direction I have been pondering for a while. I love to help people and being autistic myself, it makes sense that I should help out other people with autism. I'm learning more and more about so-called 'classic autism' and think I understand it better than I used to. Does anyone have any advice on how to get into this type of work? I don't think I could do much of the more physically-demanding side of care work as my body is weakening but I could do everything else if I really put my mind to it.

I voluntarily run a bath social group once per month. This work allowed me to study for a bphil degree in autism at the university of Birmingham. Sheffield hallam does a similar degree. It's distance learning so you study at home with 2 recommended study weekends.

Im also the minute taker for my local autism branch and attend a parents group because mine refuse.

Trekster: What does the degree in autism involve? Is it for helping people on the care side or more a study of autism?

Mihaela: Thank you, that would be great!

Laddo - I forgot to ask as there were several things I needed to mention to her, and I got so distracted there actually enjoying myself! I'll be seeing her again soon so I'll let you know.

No worries Mihaela. I fear this may just be yet another pipe dream anyway as I think you need a load of qualifications that I can't afford to get in order to work with autistic people.