Sign in to follow this  
The Exodus

VBO Issues

So I was recently playing Minecraft and it turns out that there is a relatively new graphical bug that occurs when attempting to extend the render distance to anything beyond 18 chunks (I believe it's chunks, anyway).

I searched up a fix for this bug as it turns out that 18 chunks is pretty much relative to that which used to be, in approximation, the far option on Alpha or Beta, perhaps stretching that bit farther. Of course, this doesn't make me too happy, as looking out to the islands in the distance causes them to fade in and out, dependent on my angle. The mountain I had recently carved into a station becomes almost invisible once I am back at my humble abode.

With all this out of the way, I checked for information. It turns out that switching on the VBO option on the graphical settings causes this to become fixed. From my understanding, VBO is simply a method of rendering processes via the vram rather than the system ram, increasing efficiency. It's also supposedly a feature of OpenGL. This is where things get a little tricky.

People with AMD graphics cards have reported crashes once VBO is active, something to do with AMD not optimising their OpenGL or at least something in that vein. I don't plan on risking my own world (that is, my Minecraft world; I'm not that dramatic) by switching VBO on with my AMD graphics installed, but my biggest hope is that there is some kind of way around this. I am not by any stretch of the mind a PC expert, but I know that it is likely that some on this forum very much are. My real query mostly regards whether or not it is possible to find a workaround that could potentially rectify the situation involving the crash. My understanding of OpenGL is limited at best and minute at worst, but if there is anybody that can make the connection between this and that, perhaps somebody who may understand a tweak or even somebody who can explain exactly why all of this is even occurring, that would be much appreciated. I have little understanding and only made the connection between VBO's and OpenGL because of mentions of other people who seem less than content with the support that AMD give them, suggestions that most developers do not support AMD because of their supposed lack of optimisation between the games and the architecture.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE; From my experience up until now, it appears as though this may have been fixed. I may leave this post to allow others to be more vigilant, however, as the game may still suffer with other graphics cards of the same brand. All I can say is that in a game where you'd spend almost entire solid days building and perfecting your ideal home and structures, be very, very careful.

Edited by The Exodus

I know this is not at all helpful, but how can Minecraft have so many issues with rendering? The Source and Unity engines seem to have far less issues with rendering and yet they're far more complicated than a load of cubical blocks with (presumably) 8 bit textures

Edited by Laddo

I know this is not at all helpful, but how can Minecraft have so many issues with rendering? The Source and Unity engines seem to have far less issues with rendering and yet they're far more complicated than a load of cubical blocks with (presumably) 8 bit textures

I don't know for sure. I kind of figured that it would be something in relation to the procedural generation of the worlds. Minecraft does appear rather simplistic on the surface, and there aren't even any rendering effects that you can adjust, such as anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering. As I mentioned already though, I feel that some algorithms, such as the vertex buffer object, does not work in the way it is meant to work, perhaps because they attempted to optimise across numerous graphics cards yet neglected to consider the OpenGL architecture of others.

As for the graphical bugs, I'd be lying if I said I had any particular idea as to what it may be regarding or how they even came to be. I guess they just didn't know how to optimise the graphical features of a simplistic game efficiently. I feel that Source and Unity may be less affected by these issues because they are full engines that have been in use for years and have become more and more refined as time has run its' course. Minecraft doesn't have any particular engine to fall back on, and I feel the fact that it was programmed from the ground up may also be the root of the problem.

Does one not simply run dual cards and link them?

This usually stops vram shortage

Dual radeon R9's?

Does one not simply run dual cards and link them?

This usually stops vram shortage

Dual radeon R9's?

I only have one graphics card, unless there's a way to connect it to an integrated chipset although I don't even know if my computer actually has one. I think my PC came with a detachable graphics card. Dual cards may work, but as I have already mentioned the issue seems to be with the software architecture rather than the hardware. You probably know this better than me, though.

I only do hardware really