Sign in to follow this  
peaches

Family fund

I have had an assessor today, it is our first application. How long after assessors visit should we expect to hear? I was a little confused because she said it wasnt means tested, its all about the child's disability and their needs. I hadnt applied before as I thought we werent eligible because my husband works. I applied when he cut down his hours because our income fell. I am sure I had spoken to someone about a grant before and we thought I wouldnt be eligible.

I'm not sure how many weeks it is, but it is a number of weeks. Can you have a look on their website or phone them?

It is also about identifying things that they can provide that your child needs. And you need to be specific and think carefully about what you are asking for as often the money you are awarded is for just that one purpose. For example we received a grant to get a new bed frame as my son had broken his. However, due to his OCD, he started obsessing about his mattress and would not sleep in his bed until he got a new one. In the end we mended his bedframe, and we could not use the grant for the bed frame towards a mattress.

I did get a grant for a new tumble dryer as ours had broken and my sons OCD requires that his clothes are washed and dried every day. It was a huge help for us.

What did you and the assessor identify as things your child needed.