digger365

hello

I am 41 and was diagnosed hf autism with traits of adhd 2 weeks ago,2 of my sons one aged 6 and the other 20 have been diagnosed with the same in the last year,funny thing is im able to understand their problems and empathise with them but when it comes to mine im a bit goosed,the diagnosis answered a it of questions but has raised even more,ill get my head around it someday!any way hello all.

Welcome to the forum.

I've noticed many times that having a diagnosis can have very varying effects upon us. I too had a late diagnosis, and as it's so far been 100% positive for me, I can't understand how a diagnosis can raise more questions. Surely, it should answer all questions and raise none. If any diagnosis raises questions, it seems to me that it's incomplete or flawed in some way. If you're not entirely satisfied with it, you need to discuss it with your psychiatrist. After all, it's in everyone's interest to get it right, and psychiatry isn't a exact science.

Hi Mihaela and thanks

The diagnosis did explain why I am not the social animal I have spent years trying to be,and why my life and carer have gone a certain way but the questions raised are more the kind of would I have made this decision if I had known earlier? Would I have said this or that?or would I have reacted differently to situations or if I would have even been in those situations in the first place or would knowledge and experience have made me know to avoid them? I suppose I'm really just assessing what impact autism has had on me and what would have been anyway regardless of a diagnosis.

I see what you mean. I thought you had questions about your diagnosis. Like you, my diagnosis makes me wonder how my life would have been had my AS been recogised much earlier. It would certainly have been much easier, and would have taken a different course. I feel cheated by an inadequate awareness of HFA all those years ago - and we've still got a long way to go.

Hello and welcome, hope you manage to find some help understanding your diagnoses. i found the book 'multicoloured mayhem' to be my favourite in explaining autism and adhd.