• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Livelife

Moments That Relax You

16 posts in this topic

I have moments when I need to completely get away from the world and have some time just for me. It doesn't have to be anything special even taking a hour or so to be alone have a sleep anything.

The purpose of this post is to say what your doing to make time for yourself and what your doing with the time. This is a kind of personal record of relaxation and sharing your ideals and pastimes with others and maybe give ideas and encouragement to others who struggle with relaxing for whatever reason.

It's nothing serious just a way to help yourself and others relax and reduce stress and anxiety that is probably apart of everybody's lives on the site. I will start.

I've been for a five mile walk this morning a beautiful day not too hot I feel more relaxed now was a little anxious earlier but being out alone just walking has made a difference to how I was feeling.

Walking for me too. I adore wild places away from cars and people.

I have lots of other relaxing habits too - messing about in the garden (I'm a very inefficient executively-dysfunctional gardener!), looking at at beautiful pictures, poetry, playing music, reading, playing with my cats, making a cake, jigsaws, sewing samplers, organising my collections, and even making lists, playing with words and numbers.

Edited by Mihaela

I'm a gardener too not a good one just enjoy it, have a bird table like watching the birds feeding that's very relaxing.

I find being here reading the posts thinking relaxing to, sometimes what you read disturbs you because you realise the distress of others but helping as best you can is a positive thing to try to do.

I've been watching the birds feeding off the bird table out of the window while having tea. It's very relaxing and enjoyable.

I watch the birds a lot. I feed them every day in the garden. I'm now off to a local lake to watch the ducklings and baby coots :)

I watch the birds a lot. I feed them every day in the garden. I'm now off to a local lake to watch the ducklings and baby coots :)

That sounds fantastic a very pleasant way to spend the day, we now have all sorts of birds some I dont know. We have wood pigeons blackbirds rooks or crows even a seagul called in the other day. Landed on the bird table with the others say on the fence to cautious to approach.

I've been working on the garden on a very nice evening, flowers are beginning to grow substantially along with the vegetables im relaxed enjoying the hard work showing good progress.

My favourite method of relaxing is ironing. It is one of the few times I find my mind relaxes and goes blank. I enjoy walking in the rain watching the world rush by and not feeling part of it.

Playing the piano. It's very therapeutic.

Probably the only time I've felt completely relaxed and anxiety free as an adult, was a fabulous holiday I went on last year. Just my wife and I, one of those places that has a small complex of log cabins in the middle of a forest. Hot tub outside on the balcony, log burner inside the cabin, and no noise apart from the brook bubbling past outside. It was so off the beaten track there was not even a phone signal. You could have fresh bread delivered in the morning then go for a stroll in the forest, it was the most amazing chill out time I have ever experienced..like turning down a mental rheostat in your head.

Probably the only time I've felt completely relaxed and anxiety free as an adult, was a fabulous holiday I went on last year. Just my wife and I, one of those places that has a small complex of log cabins in the middle of a forest. Hot tub outside on the balcony, log burner inside the cabin, and no noise apart from the brook bubbling past outside. It was so off the beaten track there was not even a phone signal. You could have fresh bread delivered in the morning then go for a stroll in the forest, it was the most amazing chill out time I have ever experienced..like turning down a mental rheostat in your head.

Where was this? I'd like to go! :)

Where was this? I'd like to go! :)

its run by forest holidays, it's at deerpark, liskeard, in cornwall. If you want quiet time away from the world I can highly recommend it.

It's run by Forest Holidays, it's at Deerpark, Liskeard, in Cornwall. If you want quiet time away from the world I can highly recommend it.

Bit pricey for a solo traveller, unfortunately :( - unless our Mikecunniffe could wangle a special deal... (see his thread). How close are the cabins to each other?

Edited by Aeolienne

Bit pricey for a solo traveller, unfortunately :( - unless our Mikecunniffe could wangle a special deal... (see his thread). How close are the cabins to each other?

The cabins are all detached, privacy isn't an issue. And it's not the sort of place frequented by noisy families playing loud music, screaming kids etc. We rarely saw anyone apart from staff, to be honest. It's a very,very popular place and booking needs to be done well in advance. You can specify what cabin you want, if you want a more secluded one. I will try and dig some pictures out for you.

Yes it is pricey, we had to save up to afford it, I wish we could go again this year. It's definitely worth the expense, and if you venture out of the site, Looe isn't far away. It's a beautiful harbour town and the locally produced food is out of this world.

Bit pricey for a solo traveller, unfortunately :( - unless our Mikecunniffe could wangle a special deal... (see his thread).

The latest issue of Escape (the on-train magazine of Great Western Railway) is running a competition to win a weekend break at Deerpark. Go to gwr.com/logcabinCornwall before 22 January 2016 and answer the question "In which year was the Forestry Commission formed?" (see here for the answer).

Forest Holidays are also offering a 10% discount for bookings up to 31 March 2016: use the code GWRESCAPE at forestholidays.co.uk.