Livelife

Moments That Relax You

I have moments when I need to completely get away from the world and have some time just for me. It doesn't have to be anything special even taking a hour or so to be alone have a sleep anything.

The purpose of this post is to say what your doing to make time for yourself and what your doing with the time. This is a kind of personal record of relaxation and sharing your ideals and pastimes with others and maybe give ideas and encouragement to others who struggle with relaxing for whatever reason.

It's nothing serious just a way to help yourself and others relax and reduce stress and anxiety that is probably apart of everybody's lives on the site. I will start.

I've been for a five mile walk this morning a beautiful day not too hot I feel more relaxed now was a little anxious earlier but being out alone just walking has made a difference to how I was feeling.

Walking for me too. I adore wild places away from cars and people.

I have lots of other relaxing habits too - messing about in the garden (I'm a very inefficient executively-dysfunctional gardener!), looking at at beautiful pictures, poetry, playing music, reading, playing with my cats, making a cake, jigsaws, sewing samplers, organising my collections, and even making lists, playing with words and numbers.

Edited by Mihaela

I'm a gardener too not a good one just enjoy it, have a bird table like watching the birds feeding that's very relaxing.

I find being here reading the posts thinking relaxing to, sometimes what you read disturbs you because you realise the distress of others but helping as best you can is a positive thing to try to do.

I've been watching the birds feeding off the bird table out of the window while having tea. It's very relaxing and enjoyable.

I watch the birds a lot. I feed them every day in the garden. I'm now off to a local lake to watch the ducklings and baby coots :)

I watch the birds a lot. I feed them every day in the garden. I'm now off to a local lake to watch the ducklings and baby coots :)

That sounds fantastic a very pleasant way to spend the day, we now have all sorts of birds some I dont know. We have wood pigeons blackbirds rooks or crows even a seagul called in the other day. Landed on the bird table with the others say on the fence to cautious to approach.

I've been working on the garden on a very nice evening, flowers are beginning to grow substantially along with the vegetables im relaxed enjoying the hard work showing good progress.

My favourite method of relaxing is ironing. It is one of the few times I find my mind relaxes and goes blank. I enjoy walking in the rain watching the world rush by and not feeling part of it.

Playing the piano. It's very therapeutic.

Probably the only time I've felt completely relaxed and anxiety free as an adult, was a fabulous holiday I went on last year. Just my wife and I, one of those places that has a small complex of log cabins in the middle of a forest. Hot tub outside on the balcony, log burner inside the cabin, and no noise apart from the brook bubbling past outside. It was so off the beaten track there was not even a phone signal. You could have fresh bread delivered in the morning then go for a stroll in the forest, it was the most amazing chill out time I have ever experienced..like turning down a mental rheostat in your head.

Probably the only time I've felt completely relaxed and anxiety free as an adult, was a fabulous holiday I went on last year. Just my wife and I, one of those places that has a small complex of log cabins in the middle of a forest. Hot tub outside on the balcony, log burner inside the cabin, and no noise apart from the brook bubbling past outside. It was so off the beaten track there was not even a phone signal. You could have fresh bread delivered in the morning then go for a stroll in the forest, it was the most amazing chill out time I have ever experienced..like turning down a mental rheostat in your head.

Where was this? I'd like to go! :)

Where was this? I'd like to go! :)

its run by forest holidays, it's at deerpark, liskeard, in cornwall. If you want quiet time away from the world I can highly recommend it.

It's run by Forest Holidays, it's at Deerpark, Liskeard, in Cornwall. If you want quiet time away from the world I can highly recommend it.

Bit pricey for a solo traveller, unfortunately :( - unless our Mikecunniffe could wangle a special deal... (see his thread). How close are the cabins to each other?

Edited by Aeolienne

Bit pricey for a solo traveller, unfortunately :( - unless our Mikecunniffe could wangle a special deal... (see his thread). How close are the cabins to each other?

The cabins are all detached, privacy isn't an issue. And it's not the sort of place frequented by noisy families playing loud music, screaming kids etc. We rarely saw anyone apart from staff, to be honest. It's a very,very popular place and booking needs to be done well in advance. You can specify what cabin you want, if you want a more secluded one. I will try and dig some pictures out for you.

Yes it is pricey, we had to save up to afford it, I wish we could go again this year. It's definitely worth the expense, and if you venture out of the site, Looe isn't far away. It's a beautiful harbour town and the locally produced food is out of this world.

Bit pricey for a solo traveller, unfortunately :( - unless our Mikecunniffe could wangle a special deal... (see his thread).

The latest issue of Escape (the on-train magazine of Great Western Railway) is running a competition to win a weekend break at Deerpark. Go to gwr.com/logcabinCornwall before 22 January 2016 and answer the question "In which year was the Forestry Commission formed?" (see here for the answer).

Forest Holidays are also offering a 10% discount for bookings up to 31 March 2016: use the code GWRESCAPE at forestholidays.co.uk.

Writing in today's Guardian, Simon Jenkins appears to be accusing the Forestry Commission of privatisation on the sly by selling off its stake in Forest Holidays. How much of this is scaremongering? For instance, he claims that:

Chalet parks in public forests offend every dictate of rural planning. They are space-hungry, traffic-generating and energy-inefficient. Today, buildings (and jobs) should be concentrated on and around existing settlements, not left to sprawl wherever the money is good.

Surely whether chalet parks generate traffic depends how they're run. For instance, they could have: up-to-date information about public transport access readily available both on their website and at the forest park (merely mentioning Traveline doesn't count), a shop on site within walking distance, the option to have groceries delivered on arrival, deals with local restaurants, discounted rates for anyone not bringing a car, a shuttle bus service from the nearest railway station etc. Moreover, is Simon Jenkins seriously suggesting that people should only take holidays "on and around existing settlements"? Might as well camp in your local park!

Will we stand by and watch the privatisation of our forests?

Another discount is available on Forest Holidays, this time for 5%: More info

On 5/30/2015 at 1:47 PM, Livelife said:

I've been for a five mile walk this morning a beautiful day not too hot I feel more relaxed now was a little anxious earlier but being out alone just walking has made a difference to how I was feeling.

I used to absolutely love walking when I was younger. could walk for hours and hours. Love the feel of adrenaline shooting like a drug through the body, and then that sweet exhaustion. Very soothing.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 0:06 PM, Aeolienne said:

Another discount is available on Forest Holidays, this time for 5%: More info

Still available - for breaks booked and taken by 1 January 2019.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Aeolienne said:

Still available - for breaks booked and taken by 1 January 2019.

Now available until 31 December 2019! 

Source: GreenFinder

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 0:20 PM, Aeolienne said:

Writing in today's Guardian, Simon Jenkins appears to be accusing the Forestry Commission of privatisation on the sly by selling off its stake in Forest Holidays. How much of this is scaremongering? For instance, he claims that:

Chalet parks in public forests offend every dictate of rural planning. They are space-hungry, traffic-generating and energy-inefficient. Today, buildings (and jobs) should be concentrated on and around existing settlements, not left to sprawl wherever the money is good.

Surely whether chalet parks generate traffic depends how they're run. For instance, they could have: up-to-date information about public transport access readily available both on their website and at the forest park (merely mentioning Traveline doesn't count), a shop on site within walking distance, the option to have groceries delivered on arrival, deals with local restaurants, discounted rates for anyone not bringing a car, a shuttle bus service from the nearest railway station etc. Moreover, is Simon Jenkins seriously suggesting that people should only take holidays "on and around existing settlements"? Might as well camp in your local park!

Will we stand by and watch the privatisation of our forests?

(Not written by me)

Forest Holidays Doing Their Bit

woodland getaways

Forest Holidays are privileged to be situated in beautiful corners of the UK’s forests. They make a promise, hand in hand with local partners, Forestry England, Forestry and Land Scotland and Natural Resources Wales to help the forests thrive, so that they are better than ever for future generations.

Here’s how:

Over the last 45 years, Forest Holidays have sustainably created a small number of cabin locations in Great Britain. Whilst we occupy just 0.02% of the Public Forest Estate, the benefits each location brings to its local community are considerable. The locations remain in public ownership, are Countryside and Rights of Way designated and open to the public. By creating employment, sharing the economic benefits of tourism, and actively contributing to communities, we can help to sustain the quality of rural life for generations to come.

Nature is central to our business ethos and we believe it is our responsibility to care for Britain’s forests, provide favourable conditions for wildlife to thrive and enhance the environment around us.

Their commitment to caring for Britain’s forests starts with the immediate environment and extends to the wider forest, helping to support the work of Forestry England, Forestry and Land Scotland, and Natural Resources Wales. They care for the forest environment for today and manage it so that it thrives into the future.

They have a long-term biodiversity enhancement strategy, which aims to make a positive contribution to biodiversity, wildlife habitats and people’s enjoyment at each of our locations

They provide a long-term, sustainable source of funding to help Forestry England, Forestry and Land Scotland and Natural Resources Wales to carry out their responsibilities.

They support projects on the wider public forest estate and their Conservation Fund is used to support ecological enhancement projects

They contribute to the creation and maintenance of forest trails to enable people in and around the local community to enjoy the forest more easily

It’s perhaps easy to think that nature should just be ‘left alone’ but many forests need to be actively managed to enhance their biodiversity. This is because many of our forests were actually shaped by man’s practises over centuries meaning that the ecology they support is dependent on those conditions being sustained. Forest management must take a long view and our commitment spans decades.

We hope you’ll agree Forest Holidays are going lengths to ensure every contribution towards protecting and sustaining the environment matters. They design their locations to be in harmony with the forest, managing them in an eco-friendly way, taking active steps to protect and enhance the forest, and educating their teams, guests and visitors so that they can play their part too.

Source: Greenfinder