Bishen

Diagnostic Assessment Clinic in Cygnet Hospital

My son is a university student and has to be off the university due to depression. He has been treated for depression and anxiety for about a year. His psychiatrist referred him for a comprehensive assessment for Asperger's Syndrome in Maudsley Hospital recently. Because the waiting list is long in the hospital, I've been recommended for Cygnet Hospital, which is private and expensive. I wonder if anyone has any experience of the service in Cygnet and how it's compared with Maudsley. Any suggestion is welcome.

I have no experience of the particular hospital but a private diagnosis so I've been told isn't excepted should you be looking at cliaming any form of benefit it has to be from the health service after a referral from your doctor.

I have no ideal how accurate that is but it is what I was told when I considered private assessment due to the length of time I had to wait for mine.

The important thing to remember is that there are a lot of places you can find information and support while you are waiting for the assessment to take place. It does feel like your life is standing still waiting and the problems are continuing so it can be very frustrating and stressful.

There are many books you can read and if you consider after this that he has the traits and fits the criteria of the triad of impairments then you can make any nessesary changes that help in practice while this process is taking place.

There is support you can access with the diagnosis but some people know they are autistic and have reached mature years without any form of official assessments.

It's a very individual syndrome and will effect each of us in a slightly different way.

If you have any further questions or just a bit of support during the process be pleased to help if I can.