Mihaela

The Âutistic Ûnion

I've posted this under 'Education' because getting people to understand and accept us is all about educating them out of their ignorance.

The Âutistic Ûnion was founded in 2012 as a reaction against discrimination of autistic people on Facebook. I find its aims very positive.

What does the Âû after my name mean?

1. I am Autistic (or) I support those who are Autistic.
2. I embrace my Autism as a very significant part of my identity.
3 I embrace those who would sacrifice to protect all Autistic life.
4 I embrace the belief that Autism doesn’t need any “curing”.
5 I embrace the self advocacy goal of “Everything about us, with us.”
6 I embrace the definition of Autism as a neuro-social difference .
7 I embrace measures directed at protecting Autistics from attack.
8 I embrace a person centred approach to all Autism issues.
9 I embrace rigorous scientific approaches to co-occurring conditions.
10 I embrace Autistics leading their own welfare organisations.

Reflecting upon my own life I know that if I was given the chance to start again and change anything I wanted to, I wouldn't do it.

I feel that everything I've experienced up until now (good and bad) has made me wiser, more aware, more open and more caring.

I strive to use all the trauma and suffering I've endured by learning from it and turning it around to my advantage, so that it helps others like me who suffer at the hand of NT society - simply because we were born autistic and will remain so for all our lives.

Although Âû is a Facebook group, I think there's a need for something similar in real life. We need to organise into local groups and influence the NT world, but to do this we must first try to overcome any fears of meeting one another. We all either have our autism in common or care for someone with autism. It's of little use just fighting for ourselves and can be very lonely and stressful. We'd be far better off, and a lot more effective, working together for one another than struggling alone.

Edited by Mihaela

I agree with the concept and ideology of your ideal we do need an organisation that can provide this kind of awareness and raise the profile of a Autism projecting the positive nature and unique perspective it brings to society.

The problem as I see it wouldn't be in organising or creating it in the real world but in the financial requirements as a lot of us don't work because are not given that opportunity. This would be a problem unless outside financial support was available because relaying on the welfare state as most do traveling costs would be more than a lot of us could afford even if the issues of travelling could be overcome.

From what you have said would you be thinking of a national group consisting of smaller localised groups combining to be part of a larger nationwide movement.

From a personal perspective I would be able to support this and most likely work with other autistic people in its creation as I found in my group therapy with others on the spectrum less of a challenge than NTs.

Travelling even locally would be a financial problem as well as challenging for those that have less travel concerns or drive and more financial independence this wouldnt be so much of a problem.

There would be many who couldn't participate because of this no different than the life in general. It's a fantastic ideal and would be of great benefit and support and bring awareness to a greater level, but personally I would have barriers to overcome. What does everyone else think?

I have been thinking about what you proposed and there are many chat rooms and forums that are not related to autism. Would it aid awareness if a few of us joined the same chat room and through speaking to people there raise awareness. This could be a risk where on line bullying is concerned and it may not be a good idea for some to consider doing this.

There are a few people who could deal with this as it's the same as what we are doing in daily life anyway, even if we only get a few people to realise and take notice that would be a beginning and they in turn will pass on the knowledge to people they know in their lives as well. Any thoughts.

The problem as I see it wouldn't be in organising or creating it in the real world but in the financial requirements as a lot of us don't work because are not given that opportunity. This would be a problem unless outside financial support was available because relaying on the welfare state as most do traveling costs would be more than a lot of us could afford even if the issues of travelling could be overcome.

I wouldn't expect money to come into it at all, and I'd prefer that it didn't. Money complicates things enormously. We may not have money, but we do have something infinitely more valuable: our time and our collective experience.

From what you have said would you be thinking of a national group consisting of smaller localised groups combining to be part of a larger nationwide movement.

I'm thinking more of ad hoc local loosely-knit groups operating on similar lines and having similar aims. It would be an active movement (a shift in direction) rather than an organisation. Those of us who feel passionately about the way we are being treated by mainstream society and officialdom would reach out to support our suffering brothers and sisters - for I'm sure many of us have the time and ability to do it.

As for travelling, I thought that anyone on the autistic spectrum was entitled to a free bus pass - at least that's the case in my part of the world. For those who have difficulty travelling, we can still help in other ways - such as by making phone-calls, sending emails, even creating petitions... and, as you say, contributing to non-autism-related chat-rooms and forums.

Like you, I'd have barriers to overcome too, but my passion for this would help make that happen. It would give me a new purpose in life.

I have been thinking about what you proposed and there are many chat rooms and forums that are not related to autism. Would it aid awareness if a few of us joined the same chat room and through speaking to people there raise awareness. This could be a risk where on line bullying is concerned and it may not be a good idea for some to consider doing this.

There are a few people who could deal with this as it's the same as what we are doing in daily life anyway, even if we only get a few people to realise and take notice that would be a beginning and they in turn will pass on the knowledge to people they know in their lives as well. Any thoughts.

Yes unfornately chatrooms can leave you subjected to bullying. I was with one of them and got significantly bullied there. U have to be careful I learned my lesson

I wouldn't expect money to come into it at all, and I'd prefer that it didn't. Money complicates things enormously. We may not have money, but we do have something infinitely more valuable: our time and our collective experience.

I'm thinking more of ad hoc local loosely-knit groups operating on similar lines and having similar aims. It would be an active movement (a shift in direction) rather than an organisation. Those of us who feel passionately about the way we are being treated by mainstream society and officialdom would reach out to support our suffering brothers and sisters - for I'm sure many of us have the time and ability to do it.

As for travelling, I thought that anyone on the autistic spectrum was entitled to a free bus pass - at least that's the case in my part of the world. For those who have difficulty travelling, we can still help in other ways - such as by making phone-calls, sending emails, even creating petitions... and, as you say, contributing to non-autism-related chat-rooms and forums.

Like you, I'd have barriers to overcome too, but my passion for this would help make that happen. It would give me a new purpose in life.

Not everyone is entitled to one whether there on spectrum. There are factors to consider to pass to get the free bus pass. But I think he means travelling on a coach which would not be free and same with a train

I've posted this under 'Education' because getting people to understand and accept us is all about educating them out of their ignorance.

The Âutistic Ûnion was founded in 2012 as a reaction against discrimination of autistic people on Facebook. I find its aims very positive.

What does the Âû after my name mean?

1. I am Autistic (or) I support those who are Autistic.

2. I embrace my Autism as a very significant part of my identity.

3 I embrace those who would sacrifice to protect all Autistic life.

4 I embrace the belief that Autism doesn’t need any “curing”.

5 I embrace the self advocacy goal of “Everything about us, with us.”

6 I embrace the definition of Autism as a neuro-social difference .

7 I embrace measures directed at protecting Autistics from attack.

8 I embrace a person centred approach to all Autism issues.

9 I embrace rigorous scientific approaches to co-occurring conditions.

10 I embrace Autistics leading their own welfare organisations.

Reflecting upon my own life I know that if I was given the chance to start again and change anything I wanted to, I wouldn't do it.

I feel that everything I've experienced up until now (good and bad) has made me wiser, more aware, more open and more caring.

I strive to use all the trauma and suffering I've endured by learning from it and turning it around to my advantage, so that it helps others like me who suffer at the hand of NT society - simply because we were born autistic and will remain so for all our lives.

Although Âû is a Facebook group, I think there's a need for something similar in real life. We need to organise into local groups and influence the NT world, but to do this we must first try to overcome any fears of meeting one another. We all either have our autism in common or care for someone with autism. It's of little use just fighting for ourselves and can be very lonely and stressful. We'd be far better off, and a lot more effective, working together for one another than struggling alone.

Brava!

together we are better!

national sounds better, emails even Skype maybe at some point

concerning your regards to money, I have experience in business and suggest that we could start a 'not for profit' organisation

not for profit oganisations approach large companies for charitable donations for the cause. these businesses often prefer to give to charity as they receive 'tax relief'. money that they donate is not taxable and they therefore then only pay the lower amount of tax based on the reduced amount of 'gross profit' due to their donations.

if I can be of help let me know, ive always been on a mission to fight for 'the little guy' always feeling different, now that I know that im on the spectrum I can finally identify with 'people like me'

as im sure you're by now aware I can be highly opinionated at times and feel I might be able to share my two-penneth if asked to do so

Yes unfornately chatrooms can leave you subjected to bullying. I was with one of them and got significantly bullied there. U have to be careful I learned my lesson

I had a similar experiences but one of them was on another site for Autistic people, I don't think it fair to name them as for some it probably is a good place to be if you fit in and are one of the excepted people. It proves how different sites can be even those related to autism, I felt at ease here straight away and made some friends here in the short time I've been a member I'd recommend this site to anybody the people here are so friendly and supportive if only life outside could be similar.

Not everyone is entitled to one whether there on spectrum. There are factors to consider to pass to get the free bus pass. But I think he means travelling on a coach which would not be free and same with a train

It appears I am not entitled to a bus pass which isn't the responce I was hoping for but seeing as i don't travel well on public transport I only use it when I have no choice and usually somebody is with me.

It would save me money and financially it can be a struggle so it would have helped but I wouldn't get a lot of use from it personally but I can see for some it would be a great help and advantage in having one.

It appears I am not entitled to a bus pass which isn't the responce I was hoping for but seeing as i don't travel well on public transport I only use it when I have no choice and usually somebody is with me.

It would save me money and financially it can be a struggle so it would have helped but I wouldn't get a lot of use from it personally but I can see for some it would be a great help and advantage in having one.

I have mine on the basis of learnng disability registered with council with proof. Not on basis of DLA. Some also can get on basis of mental health

I have mine on the basis of learnng disability registered with council with proof. Not on basis of DLA. Some also can get on basis of mental health

Thank you for that additional information I will look at it again from the points you made take advice and see if it's possible to get one.

I know several 'high-functioning' Aspies with bus passes. My support worker is arranging for me to have one. The requirements should be the same across the country. Instead it seems something of a postcode lottery :(

I know several 'high-functioning' Aspies with bus passes. My support worker is arranging for me to have one. The requirements should be the same across the country. Instead it seems something of a postcode lottery :(

It must be dependant on where you live and the local authorities, I will try again to see if there is a way to get the bus pass as I may not have explained myself correctly initially it will be worth trying again. When or if I have an answer will let everybody know how I got on.

Are you eligible for a concessionary bus pass?

Do any of the following apply to you? Please only select one option, choosing the one most relevant to you. You should only tick the option if it’s permanent or has lasted, or will last, 12 months or more.

Are you blind or partially sighted?
YesNo
Are you profoundly or severely deaf?
YesNo
Are you unable to speak?
YesNo
Do you not have arms or have lost the use of both arms?
YesNo
Do you have a learning disability?
YesNo
Has your driving licence been revoked or refused on medical grounds (apart from because of conditions related to drug and alcohol misuse)?
YesNo
Is your walking ability permanently and substantially impaired?
YesNo
Are you a member/veteran of the armed services who’s been seriously injured in service?
YesNo
Are you none of the above?
YesNo

Thanks special talent for your help posting the list of conditions. I class myself as fitting into certain categories but apparently it's not severe enough. Personally I think it's just a way to deny people who need one, they say we except you do have this but not to a degree that seriously impedes you. Just another excuse to cut services people desperately need.