lglinn

Parents and carers, please help us understand how we can support you better

Parents and carers, we would love to hear from you! :)

Joanna Davies, a teacher at Ysgol Hendrefelin, Wales, and PhD student, and I would love to hear more about your experiences.

We are conducting some research exploring the thoughts and feelings of parents about parenting. Mothers, fathers or carers (birth or foster/adoptive) we kindly ask you to take part in our research. This would involve completing an anonymous online survey. We would really appreciate your participation!

Unfortunately, there is little research that has explored the thoughts and feelings of parents in general and less that has explored the thoughts and feelings of parents of children with an autism spectrum condition, even though it can have a large impact on a parent's family and lives. We hope that the findings will help us understand the feelings and problems that parents might face when caring for a child. This may help us provide better support to parents and families in general and to parents and families of children with an autism spectrum condition in particular.

The survey should not take longer than 45 minutes to complete. We understand that parents might not have 45 minutes to spare at once. This is okay. If you have a couple of spare 10 minutes to complete the survey in several stages that would be fantastic! There is no time-out so you can leave the survey open in your browser and come back to it. Alternatively you can enter in the same name/ID and click “Next” until you reach the point you left off – there is no need to answer the same questions twice!!

We should point out that as some of these questions deal with feelings and sensitive issues, some people may find them upsetting.

If you are interested in taking part, please follow the link below: http://psy.swansea.ac.uk/questionnaires/803205/
If a “something went wrong” message pop up after you click on the link, please just click the ‘follow link’ button. This will take you to the online survey.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like any further information: 803205@swansea.ac.uk.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. The information you provide will make an important contribution to an area of research that is currently underexplored. We will happily provide any parent who participates in this research with a copy of the results at the end of the study.

Kind Regards,
Laura Glinn,
MSc Psychology Student
Department of Psychology

Swansea University

Unfortunately I am not suitable to help with this but I would if I was within the right group of people. Hopefully somebody will decide to help as I feel it is a very worthwhile study.

what about if the parent has ASD?

I struggle looking after my 3 year old by myself

I don't yet know if shes on the spectrum but im confident I am and struggle with the day to day care giving when I have her alternate weekends

does this count?