MiddleEarthNet

Aids to communication

This is something I've thought about a number of times previously but events and my mental health over the last five weeks have raised the questions again.

Do communication aids benefit someone with Aspergers? I know some aids are designed for someone with more severe Autism. When I am functioning, I am able to communicate but very often can't put what I actually want to say into words and either I am misunderstood or I don't understand the answer. However when I am having problems, first my speech slows and I can't use sentences anymore and then it disappears totally (at this point I'm functioning at the level of severe Austim). There's also the rocking and anxiety. Are there any communication aids that might help? I looked at the Autism Alert cards on the national autisic society website but they aren't right for me. One of my martial arts instructors suggested a set of written cards to help me communicate with my mum (ongoing problems). Does that sort of thing exist? I searched but only found picture ones. Also would a medic alert be of benefit? Being out in public and social situations causes a significant number if the problems.

I also have multiple allergies, which if I go the medic alert route I would include. But I have no idea how to write it when there are lots.

Edited by MiddleEarthNet

Yes I use cards from stickman communications which includes multiple disabilities autism is in there as well.

What kind of aids are you referring to?

PECS

AAC

Communication Passports

Makaton?

There is various communication aids. For me i use my AAC when i loose my communication, I am waiting to get some help to makea communication passport with the speech therapist, as i am having trouble expressing myself to people and them not understanding me. I found PECS benefical to me at special school, actually i am speaking now if it wasnt for my special school. I also found that flashcards helps me to

Communication Passports

Are those related to the "Disability Passport"?