Sign in to follow this  
av16

Another Update - Great News and Hope for Struggling Aspies (and their mums)

I haven't been on this forum for a very long time but 9-10 years ago i was a very frequent visitor. I just wanted to give some hope to people that sometimes things do turn out better than you ever dared to hope.

My son was diagnosed(finally) at the age of nearly 9 with AS, at primary and secondary school he was excluded frequently - at least once a year even in year 11, often for violence when he was younger. He spent most of his time in the learning support unit at secondary school and I spent hours talking to teachers to try and explain why he behaved the way he did. He did get 8 GCSEs which was a massive achievement for him.

He moved to another school for sixth form (which has an Autism unit but he wasn't in it) and the change was amazing, over the last 2 years he hasn't been in trouble once, for AS levels he got good grades and today he has made it to get a place at uni. How he'll get on is another challenge but the success he's had has given him more confidence.

I am so proud as after the first half term at secondary school we thought he would have to leave. I didn't give up when he was having difficulties and it's been hard work for the whole family.

Today has been a day I never dreamed would actually happen so the message is never give up, keep pushing for your child, guide them and they will surprise you.

Well done all of you!

I wish I had parents like you

It warms my heart to think you have helped him achieve and find his potential

In case he's not said it himself...

THANK YOU