Sign in to follow this  
rgp08

Meet & Greet

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with ASD/Asperger's Syndrome. It was long overdue, and prompted by a "Meltdown" of nuclear proportions which resulted in me splitting up with my girlfriend. And as part of "coming to terms with" and "accepting" my diagnosis I was encouraged to sign up to an ASD forum. So whilst I am still fairly hostile to my diagnosis, and the idea of talking and being open about it - I suppose taking this first step towards getting use to it isn't all that bad, and better than doing nothing.

Thanks

Hi rgp08

Welcome to the forum

I use the word "diagnosis" but I don't like it. Everyone is different & for me, "diagnosis" was just a way of explaining the differences between me & Mr Average & not a way of labelling me as someone with something wrong with them. I have used that understanding to my advantage. Of course for many "diagnosis" can be the gateway to support if needed.

I hope you find a new girlfriend soon. (or patch things up with the old one)

Hi rgp08

Welcome to the forum

I use the word "diagnosis" but I don't like it. Everyone is different & for me, "diagnosis" was just a way of explaining the differences between me & Mr Average & not a way of labelling me as someone with something wrong with them. I have used that understanding to my advantage. Of course for many "diagnosis" can be the gateway to support if needed.

I hope you find a new girlfriend soon. (or patch things up with the old one)

Hi, Tomar.

Yeah I'm viewing it as an explanation, rather than a label or something which will define me. And so far that frame of mind is coming in useful, especially for getting a better understanding and perspective of certain things.

Thanks for the reply.