tracky2

newby, looking for advice for 6 yr old son

Hi there

i am new to this and just want a little advise for my son.

Just recently i have began the long road of looking for a diagnosis for my son who i suspect has ASD? Although not sure of this but feel his behaviour, Quirks fit this.

School have spoken about DCD but although i know some of the symptoms cross over and not all behaviours are required to fit I am unsure of this as diagnosis though?

I wont go in to all his traits on the first post as it may end up reading like an essay lol.

My son suffers from anxiety and when this occurrs regular throws up if it is left to manifest. Aslo i am very aware that he does not manage in social situations and see difference in his interactions. Looking back this was always a problem but thought he would grow out of it.

Just looking for some advise on ways to manage situations for him to limit the anxiety.

Firstly when he is suffering anxiety eg recently as you know the weathers been bad (very windy) and this has caused problems at night for settling. He was never a great settler but recerntly with the aid of traffic light timer he has settled better but has to have music and fan on and also tempreture in room cool. When it is loud outside I try and get him to wear his headphones to try and drown out the noise, he also has a worry monster that he writes down the worry pops it in the mouth and zips it up, magically the worry moster eats it. ( oh if life were that easy for us mums huh lol) What else do you sujest in this situation because even though i snuggle with him for a bit sometimes he still throws up due to anxiety? Its not just the weather anxiety can highten with anything depending on what is bothering him.

Also i was at Messy Church tonight and he wanted to go beacuse its fun but when we got their i could see that he was going to struggle started to run around not wanting to join in the games (which was fine) also wanted to dart from activity to activity in the end he came out the craft room on his own beacuse it got too loud and stayed in the hall at one point sitting behind the couch, ended up getting his dad to take him home beacuse he wasnt enkjoying it anymore. What can i do in these sitauons to help calm and focus him? I'm new to trying to look at his behaviour in a different way so feel like i am lagging behind at moment. Trying not to get frustrated with him, although bit entirely working. I have a little girl of 4 aswell.

Sorry for the rant and the essay

Has he had a sensory assessment from an occupational therapist?

There are books about sensory issues and autism. Try looking up "sensory integration disorder" online.

hi treckster, we are still in the early stages of referel and havent been seen by anybody yet, i am hoping that we are assessed by ot in the process, the teacher thinks DCD but i have never thought of dyspraxia as i find that clumsyness has not been something i have been worrying about, me and his sister however could be classed as clumsy and regularly fall over our own feet lol

i will look in to 'sensory intergration disorder' thanks.

the only good thing i guess is i now have education referring to, so my intincts may have been right. This process takes a long time, think I'm going to have to pester a little soon to make sure the referal has been made and find out to whom.