Canopus

Do we really need Black Friday?

Do we really need Black Friday or is it purely a stupid American import? It could be argued that Black Friday without Thanksgiving Day is like Boxing Day without Christmas Day.

No, its just a gimmick for the businesses to make more profit. Its not worth it; people get hurt, and the companies couldnt care less.

All right, I'll play contrarian. The profit margin for the average dry goods retailer is 3% and many of them do not break even for the year until November-hence the celebration when the store comes out of the red and "into the black." If you knew that places you like to shop would likely fold without some socially engineered spending support, would you be more likely--assuming you're able--to buy more goods? What would you be willing to do, or do without, such that retailers could stay in business, and we could be without Black Friday?

Or we could go deeper...why does Black Friday bother people? And what does any person's reaction to the concept say about them?

I wonder how well-established Black Friday is even in the USA. I don't remember it being mentioned in any of Judy Blume's novels from the '70s, for instance.

We need Black Friday less than Jeff Bezos needs your next Amazon purchase.