FlorenceD

I'm finally back!

I forgot my password so had issues signing in. The reset password thing didn't work as I never received the email and when I tried to email the moderators, it failed to send to them. (Moderators, not sure if you might want to check this out?)

Anyways, back in April I received my 'official' diagnosis of HFA (apparently they don't diagnose Aspergers anymore) although I was told that Aspergers is where my level of deficits lie. I also have elements of ADHD especially inattentiveness.

Receiving my diagnosis at the age of 28 has helped me to make alot of sense of my life so far, however with it has come the realisation that I'm always going to struggle which is really affecting my anxiety, depression and OCD. I had some CBT a while ago for my OCD but I really struggled with it as I have quite rigid thought patterns and to be told that the way I think is wrong and to think in another way was really hard to put into practice so the therapy helped a bit but not as much as I was hoping.

Does anyone else here struggle with this? I'm also finding work hard atm as I'm realising just how socially inept I am ( a couple of incidents at work have just added to this), I just feel like every day is a struggle.

Do others on here struggle too? What advice does anyone have?

Also my GP has changed my antidepressants as my depression has gotten so bad, the thing I don't understand is why is there no NHS autism specific counselling/talking therapy considering that autism and mental health issues go hand in hand? My GP is constantly looking for something suitable for me but atm there is nothing so if things don't improve soon or get worse then I'm going to have to be referred to Adult Mental Health. Does anyone else have experience of this?

Just wanting to share this with you all so that maybe those of us affected can help guide each other.

Look forward to hearing from you all again.

Thanks

Welcome back not sure what happened with getting emails from you.

Hope you manage to get some support soon.