4 replies to this topic

#1 fade

fade

Norfolk Broads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:36 AM

I'm now 35 and I haven't really communicated with people face to face other than my parents since I was a kid.  Over the past few years I've been trying to fix this.

So far, I can say "morning" or something equivalent to strangers if they say morning to me first.  And with a bit of preparation, I can manage simple, brief conversations in shops to get what I need, most of the time.  I can speak to doctors if I'm prepared.  Talk to bus drivers so I can get where I want to go, etc...  None of this happened over night, and took small steps, but I'm mostly there.

Unprepared I can handle < 20 second talks before things start getting difficult.  Prepared and on a good day, I can handle up to a few minutes.  It's more than I could handle two years ago before I started trying to fix my life.

I'm trying to improve this, but I can't really see any way to go further, no obvious small next step to take.

Any suggestions, tips or anything that may help?

#2 trekster

trekster

Mt McKinley

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts
  • Interests:stamp collecting, cross stitching, playmobil, star trek, liverpool fc, computers

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Welcome

I can't tell from your post what area of the uk you are in?

I find asperger social groups are better for me than mainstream activities.

#3 fade

fade

Norfolk Broads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent.

#4 trekster

trekster

Mt McKinley

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts
  • Interests:stamp collecting, cross stitching, playmobil, star trek, liverpool fc, computers

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

http://www.saas.uk.com/

It's a society in Staffordshire for adult autistic and asperger folk.

#5 JeanneA

JeanneA

Kilimanjaro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts
  • Interests:surfing the net, cookery, gardening, listening to music.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi fade, I just wanted to say you sound so much like my eldest son who is 31 and has not been diagnosed for ASD or Aspergers, but I do feel he is on the spectrum, but I haven't brought this up with him.  He has problems interacting with people, he hasn't any friends, and all his says at work is 'Good morning' and 'Good night' that's it.  I agree with Trekster, an Asperger group sounds ideal.  I hope you contact the one that he mentioned.  I think you are doing well, it will take time but I'm sure you will get there especially with the help of the group. Please keep us updated.  I wish you well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users