Sign in to follow this  
MiddleEarthNet

Fidget toy to help with picking at skin on lips?

I use fidget and sensory toys almost constantly. But what they don't seem to stop is the skin picking, specifically my lips, which I can shred. Once I tried a chewy necklace but I didn't like it. I can't tell if its because it was the wrong one for me or because I don't actually chew stuff. Its odd because I use both teeth and fingers to pick at my lips. Any ideas what to try?

Hi, I've tried lip salve on the past. It has pretty much the exact opposite effect with me. It does reduce the dry skin but anything that leaves a residue feeling on my skin (soap, cream, lip salve) I'm not able to tolerate. It's like sensory overload because it adds an extra sensation but not one I like. I then end up targeting that area. The last time I tried lip salve, the damage I did to my lips was horrific. I'm the same with anything like that. I have scars from where I clawed my skin after putting a little bit of cream on because of insect bites.

But I think what I am seeking is specific sensory input on the lips (not in a romantic way). I was using my tangle hairy earlier and only when mum shouted at me to stop, did I realise, I was rubbing the rubber hairs on it across my lips. And only when forced to stop, did the picking at my lips start. I've also always (and still do) rub my soft toys across my lips.

So I need something that I won't get told off about.

Edited by MiddleEarthNet

When I have lived with cats I have enjoyed rubbing my face (especially my mouth) on their fur and would also like to brush the tip of the cat's tail around my eyes, nose and mouth - only briefly, as long as the cat was purring, so as not to annoy the cat. After my last cat died I tried to think of what I could get that would be as soft as cat fur, but ideally not an animal product. I thought of velvet, but what also came to mind is the buds on willow, when they are fuzzy. I think this is closer to cat fur than velvet would be. I have one bud that I carry in the same pot as my foam ear plugs. I have thought of sticking a number of buds close together on a stick, so I could run it between my lips. (I haven't done this, as I thought a glue gun would be the best thing for the job, but not cost effective for this one-off task.)

I know this is going a little at a tangent from your original question, but I thought it sufficiently relevant to mention. I hope that's ok.

Hi, actually it's very relevant. I used to own cats and loved the feel of their fur on my face. But Mum won't let me get another cat. Plus they aren't a portable option.

As a first step, I tried those one of those fake velvet little pouches that jewellery sometimes come in. It's ok, but it's not as textured as proper velvet so I'll keep looking for the proper stuff.