Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

The multicultural school or the white British school?

Has any serious research been done to determine whether white indigenous British kids with AS are happier and more successful (socially as well as academically) in a school that is highly multicultural or a school that is almost completely dominated by other white indigenous British kids?

The schools I attended were all dominated by white indigenous British kids. I never really had much of a chance to meet black / Asian / Chinese people of my own age until I started college and even that was probably close to 90% white indigenous British.

Hi

I have not come across any research specific to your question. However, I have very recently read posts whereby parents were concerned that their ASD children were actually intolerant of children from different ethnic backgrounds. The parents were obviously fearful of racism.....although it would seem that misophonia was more likely to be the cause. The various accents and dialects may have been painful to hear alongside the loud noises in a school setting.

Sorry that was anecdotal rather than conclusive!

Arlene

I have not come across any research specific to your question. However, I have very recently read posts whereby parents were concerned that their ASD children were actually intolerant of children from different ethnic backgrounds. The parents were obviously fearful of racism.....although it would seem that misophonia was more likely to be the cause. The various accents and dialects may have been painful to hear alongside the loud noises in a school setting.

I have never believed statements that people with ASD are almost always more tolerant to foreigners, immigrants, and ethnic minorities than most NT people are.

I think the intolerance and animosity at school results more from cultural and linguistic differences than race and ethnicity. I have wondered if white indigenous British kids with AS tend to form better social relationships with kids of certain ethnic groups or country of origin more than others.