Sign in to follow this  
Ferret

The Autistic Dictionary

i'm sticking this topic here in this forum so as not to clog up any other. 

reason: because this might merely be one of what i call my midnight madness thoughts and by morning what seemed like a brilliant flash of inspiration turns into some horror that resembles the previous nights leftovers and ultimately gets consigned to the bin of lost causes.

so here we go: i have been lurking about and around, as ferret's are want to do, and sometimes frequent NAS answering queries and questions over there etc etc. it struck me that i seem to be answering the same questions over and over again; the same topics keep coming up. it's getting a little repetitive, which is not a problem in itself, but it has highlighted either a) that people generally don't know how to phrase a question to google and do research; and b)) information about ASDs and all that entails being autistic is mostly i) conflated either by mis-information or poor diagnostics from the medical profession and academia/academics in the field ii) produced by NTs

also: someone on NAS raised the issue of where to get to advice etc. as there seems to be a bit of gap when it comes to how to get the right information if a) one is newly diagnosed; b)) an adult having being diagnosed, as this does not appear to be on the map/radar - i concur here as my personal journey has been something like that of gandalf in the archives of minas tirith... but i digress.

so: your thoughts please on the viability of creating/compiling a dictionary of autism. this would include everything, even down to bitter chocolate etc. an include things like false cures etc. myths about autism etc. this dictionary would be compiled by us, we, autistics, and much like a dictionary, be A-Z, with definitions etc. eg. bitter chocolate - excellent source of fibre, reputed to have the effects of.... 

you catch my drift.... i hope

so your thoughts? if any? 

This has been done for other topics. It sounds like a good idea. One such facility for creating this online is as a miniwiki (as in miniature wikipedia site). I probably wouldn't have time to contribute to it, but I support the idea. A possible drawback of something that could be edited by lots of people is that if there is a difference if opinion on wording or the whole definition that could cause difficulties. On the other hand, you needn't set it up in  Wikipedia style. It could be a website and if people want to add to it then they could submit something for review before it's added to the site.

ive compiled an autism dictionary before but the community has widely moved on since then.

i think a autism dictionary is a great idea very helpful especially for people new to communities or NTs.