Sign in to follow this  
nix

Residential Placement

Hi everyone,

My son will be 16 next month.  To cut a long story short we had a meeting back in February at which his consultant Phyciatrist recommended a 52 week residential placement at a residential school due to his anxiety levels regarding transitions.  We have been through the usual channels of behaviour support through the council 5 times and it is felt that the behaviours displayed are due to the developmental disability rather than anything that could be altered through specific behaviour programmes by myself.  He has little quality of life at moment, has an adittional diagnosis of deterioration of autism/catatonia and is on rispiradone.  He is currently attending a generic special school with respite twice a week.

The problem I am having is that the SEN department are refusing to follow legislation regarding consulting my preferred choice of school (Wilsic Hall) but on the same token are not even communicating with me as to what other placement they have in mind.  There is no placement within our authority that can meet his needs.  The social worker keeps on cancelling appointments.  

Has anybody been in a similar situatuation and have you paid for a solicitior ? I have quoted legislation to the council ie Code of practice but I am not getting any response.

Ideally we wanted him to go to the residential school in September.

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Nikki X

Hi Nikki, sorry to hear of what you are going through.  My son Glen sounds very much like yours, he is 23 now, but he went to a residential school when he was 17, we were recommended this placement via Glen's clinical psychologist and social worker.  We agreed with the placement after having a visit from the manager and director of the placement, we were very pleased with what they had to offer so haven't been in your position.  However, you do need a good social worker, sounds like your's isn't doing the best of jobs by keep cancelling appointments, why don't you complain to the manager of your social services, demand to speak to him/her.  Also has your son got a clinical psychologist/educational psychologist, as these are the professionals that can be very helpful.  I really do feel for you and hope you get the school that you want.  Do you know if this school has places available/have you visited the school?  Please keep in touch, private message me any time. x