Sign in to follow this  
emotink

Son turning 16 DLA assessment for PIP

My son turns 16 in a few days and we have been told that his DLA will stop and he will be assessed for PIP. I'm terrified were going to loose it.  He gets middle for care and low for mobility.  In the letter I received it sounds like they want to do a telephone assessment and talk to him!  Is this normal?

I currently get carers allowance for him which will stop if we don't get PIP.  We also have a disabled child element on our children's tax credits - does anyone know if this will be removed as well?

I work at next but only have a tiny 6.5hrs contract (hubbie works full time) and can only do hours between 9-3 so I can make sure he gets into his taxi for school (he hates school) and am home for when he gets in.  It's looking good for him getting into college to do a basic mechanics course, but he won't do the college bus and its going to cost a fortune in taxis (no more free school transport when they get into further education) so I'm going to have to do it which again limits my work availablity so I'm going to struggle getting a different job that's not seasonal (live in Cornwall) :-(  He was discharged from CAMHS years ago, same as his consultant peadiaetrician (sorry for bad spellings) so we have been muddling through on our own for years - I feel this is going to go against us.  

Any advice please on where to go from here

Hi,

We are in a similar situation.  My son is now 16 and was awarded DLA only two months prior to his 16th birthday (I had never claimed before).  I applied for PIP an my son had recently had an interview from the Independent Assessment Service.  We are currently awaiting the result.