NannyOgg

Hello everyone, this is my first post and not sure what to say really or where to start. I am a female in my mid 50s, diagnosed with OCD four years ago but having watched that Chris Packham programme last week, and done some Googling since, I am pretty certain that I am an aspie. So much of what he said rang a bell, a loud one, with me. I was pronounced as "gifted" as a child, had a reading age of 12+ at age 7 and ever since I can remember, have had seriously heavy duty obsessions. I can remember basically living in my own world (my own never ending adventures in a serialised tv programme which I refused to miss - ever). My parents used to organise outings etc and stuff for us to do, but told me on many occasions that as I never showed any emotion, they could never tell if I was having a good time. I was pretty well behaved at school although, especially when younger, played up a bit if I thought rules were childish or stupid, hence my parents weren't strangers to the head's office. My obsessions have varied over the years and have included rock stars and actors, for whom I have gone to great lengths to follow their careers (and in one case, actually get to know as I was seeing him so often) but, without exception, each one has taken centre stage in my life and, when not required to think about work etc, occupied the remainder of my thoughts and my number one priority.

I have always felt a bit "different", a bit out of step with the world, but have managed to make and keep friends and get married to a very understanding man who just accepts my idiosyncrasies. I find comfort in eating the same things all the time, learn routes and stick to them when driving (even when it would make more sense to go another way) and find animals much easier company than humans. I struggle to maintain eye contact when talking to people, hate small talk (which I find boring and pointless), like being on my own a lot, in fact I need to be on my own a lot. I get lost in hotels and restaurants a lot, feel sometimes that my public interactions in shops and what not are, well, not the norm (whatever that is) as I tend to make off the wall comments that others find, well, odd. I also talk to myself, out loud, and do the rehearse thing if I need to tell someone news. 

I am not sure what all the above adds up to, but if I am aspie then many things make more sense than they did and I find comfort in the fact that this may explain why I am like I am and help me in the future to worry less about being who I am and trying to fit in. So, there you are, that's it for now. 

Hello and welcome to the forum 

I knew I was an aspie two years before I got diagnosed. I saw the film rainman and I did all but a few things on there. I thought I couldn't be very autistic because there were certain things I didn't do which ironically proves that I am because I was talking all his autistic traits literally. 

I'm pleased Chris Packham has helped you realise your identity of being an aspie. It takes some getting used to understand and process that realisation. 

Some areas have aspergers women's groups. There are also some books on aspergers aimed at females on the spectrum. 'Aspergirls' is one that springs to mind. One author of books aimed at females on the spectrum is Robyn Stewart.

It is possible to have aspergers and OCD at the same time. If you feel distress at engaging in your obsessions or compulsions that's OCD, if you feel joy or other more positive emotions at engaging with your obsessions then that's an aspie trait. If there's a mixture of the two then you most likely have both. 

I was diagnosed in 1996 with Asperger syndrome. But I have obsessive hoarding and compulsions about the time. I'm constantly panicking about being late especially when I've left in plenty of time. I've been a compulsive spender in the past as well. I identify as OCD but I don't have an official diagnosis.

Getting an official diagnosis can be hard work due to the cuts the NHS have and changes to the diagnostic criterion. Some areas still use ICD-10 (older criterion) others use DSM-5.

There are some peer support groups that accept people whether they have a diagnosis of aspergers or autism or not. Official services from the NHS however are a different story.

Have you heard of OCD action? 

https://www.ocdaction.org.uk/support-groups

That's a link to the support groups including online support groups. 

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 0:33 PM, trekster said:

I'm pleased Chris Packham has helped you realise your identity of being an Aspie.

Congratulations to Chris for being recognised in the New Year's Honours list!

More info

I recently found this reading list which may be helpful:

Essential autistic reading list - Lizzie Huxley-Jones