Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

Looking for job to work with autistic children

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have decided that I want to work with autistic children. Have been told by the people who work with my son that I would be really good at it - (sorry for the big head)

I am having trouble finding out information.......... I have applied for a classroom assistant job to work with autistic children and as of yet have had no response. I don't know if it is because I don't have any childcare qualifications - just an honours degree in accounting!

Any info would be most appreciated.

Elaine

x

Hi :)

I started working at a local residential special school in January, and they seemed happy with my background of being my son's full-time carer for 12 years. I had also done a Makaton course a few years ago just for my own interest, and I have helped run a Brownie pack for the last 3 years which included a First Response First Aid qualification.

My 'professional' qualifications from my short-lived career in Archaeology many years ago didn't put them off!! :lol:

In September I'll be starting my GNVQ in Care through work, and you may find that you can do something similar through a job.

Incidentally, you may find it easier to get a job in a special school...from my experience, paid jobs in mainstream (T.A, Classroom Assistant, etc) are like gold dust because so many mums with children at the school want them!

If you can't get a paid job, you could try doing voluntary work at a special school, which could get you the experience you might need.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Bid :)

The special independent school for AS that I work in are always on the lookout for good classroom assisstants - do you have any of these types of schools nearby?

An postcode search on the OFSTED site will find you your closest

L

xxx

You can come and work as my son's TA!

It would be nice to have someone who actually took and interest in the childs needs rather than some mum they've shipped in to fill in who has no knowledge at all of children who are on the spectrum. ;)

I would do it myself, but even though I have been police checked they won't let me get involved, probably because I'll see what they're NOT doing for him!

Sorry, jaded blurbed moment there, tupence worth added :blink:

Well done you for wanting to help others!

I'm looking for a job working with special needs children too. It's really difficult to find one. I've worked with children all my life and am qualified up to eyeballs ('scuse my big head! :) ) but am finding it a difficult area to get into. Compounded by the fact i want to work only school hours and term time (so i can be home for my son) it's nigh-on impossible. Most places i have found tend to recrute within there current staff or just don't advertise freely - tends to be word of mouth. A friend suggested sending a c.v to every local school/care facility etc to see if that gets me anywhere. But i don't want to feel like i'm bombarding people - mind you, you never know till you try. Will let you know if i get anywhere and good luck with finding the job your after.

Mary xx

One of my friends at work knows a girl that works in a special school. I am going to see if she has any contact names and I will phone the school direct! Might also phone the group that helped my son and see what they say.

Becky, I would have loved to come and work with your son but I live in Edinburgh and it might be a long long way away from where you stay.

Will keep you all posted on the job front!

Elaine

x

Volunteering is a great way to gain experience. Many places will offer training at the same time, but if not, there are many courses available- this is a good time to start. Charities will sometimes have a training budget you can tap into if you do an external course. Check out distance learning courses you can tap into which will fit around your other committments.

I spotted yesterday that Leeds Uni do a course in Disability and Special Education for post grads- this might be of interest?

Once you are known in your role, you'll be the first person that they think of when paid work comes up.

If there's a support group in your area, get involved. Most charities have to apply for external funding. If you can identify a need, you can always invent your own post and apply for funding yourself!

Hello

I was speaking to a lady who helps my son today. She said that these type of jobs are also advertised in libraries - which i am going to look into. Not sure if this is just in Scotland or all over the UK.

She also said that i could phone the education dept and ask for an application form and then i would go on a waiting list.

Elaine

x

Hi, each education authority has its own web site. In hampshire it's hants.net and you can go on there and search for all vacancies in education/schools. Your county will have something similar. hants.net also has a facility to search next door counties - useful if you are near the county line. I think sending your cv to any school you would like to work in is a good idea. Volunteering in your child's schoolcan be good as it will give you experience and then you can have someone in education as a referee on any application form. However I have known schools to be so grateful when someone volunteers that when a vacancy comes up they will still externally advertise as the volunteer comes free, then they can employ someone else - two for the price of one!

As for qualifications I have very few ( my best is a totally useless o level in music) I recently went for a job (which I didn't get) and the lead interviewer, a psychologist, asked "how did you get your job when you have no qualifications for it?" so it seems that experience counts for more than bits of paper. A quote from my dad "Sorry to hear that your possible employer did not recognise your talents without being able to see a piece of paper to indicate that you may be competent enough to do the job...Are these people not able to evaluate the capabilities of the prospective employee without the assistance of a piece of paper, which in my experience merely indicates attendance and not necessarilly intelligence ?...I would say that it was their loss - not yours.There is a better job around the next corner !!"

thanks for the link to hants.net Katkin, i'll have a look through it. I actually am with you on the pieces of paper thing, I'm very proud of the things i have acchieved, but at the same time, i know people with my qualifications and they are clueless when you put them in a room full of kiddies :wacko: . I would hire the nicest and most able person for the job, not most qualified.... :)

Hello

I have seen a job i am going to go for. It is with the National autistic society as a volunteer support officer. They are looking to fill positions in Edinburgh.

I will be mentioning that i contribute to a forum in my application form.

Hopefully, I will get an interview.............................

Elaine

Hi there Jobseekers! B)

Im a Special Needs Nanny and work with Autistic children.

I found my first job through 'www.snapchildcare.co.uk'

a special needs nanny agency.

They have lots of jobs all over Britain, part-time, fulltime, Daily positions Etc, I have yet to find another Special needs nanny agency!

It maybe worth a look for some of you wanting to work with children with special needs.

Good luck finding the right jobs!

Rakelli :D

When I worked as a LSA, I saw the job advertised in our local paper.

There's always a lot of LSA jobs advertised just after the start of school terms. when the SEN children have just started school.

Annie

XX

Hi Forbsay,

I didn't have any qualifications either.

I was taken on purely because I have my own child with Asperger's. The little boy that I was with had Asperger's too.

I reckon we've got more than enough qualifications anyway ;)

Annie

:D