Helen

Money-saving tips for carers

Oohh...loads of really useful advice!

I'm going to check if my Council gives a reduction in Council Tax for Registered Disabled!

Plus, did you know Vauxhall offer a 10% discount on cars for Registered Disabled?!

This link is really worth a look.

Bid :wacko:

Hi All,

I just had to mention the link below, even though it has been obtained from the link in the first post.

It's to do with the CEA Card - Cinema Exhibitor's Association Card.

I have in the past enquired about a consession when wanting to take Daniel to our local cinema. I was told that I could only be offered a consession of 50p discount of my ticket price.

Well, there is a national card that can be used to verify that the holder is entitled to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema.

For further details you can visit: http://www.ceacard.co.uk

When I mentioned this to a member of staff at my local cinema last week, the woman hadn't heard of this scheme. I phoned the recereation and leisure department within my local authority this morning and they too hadn't heard of the scheme, yet my cinema's details are posted on the CEA's website as being a participating cinema in the scheme.

I have just downloaded an application form for the card...

Helen

Edited by Helen

Hello everyone,

As a family we have visited Legoland this year numerous times. As a child with ASD my son Nathan is entitled to one carer admitted free so my husband does not have to pay. Even better, when you arrive at lego land, go to guest services and get the free carers pass and also the child with the disability gets a red stamp on hand and the other members in the party a black stamp-exit pass, basically you do not have to queue. This is great for our children who have difficulty queuing. A very stressfree day!!!!!

Sonia xx

Hi guys,

I don't know if its part of the CEA - card scheme, but Oden Cinema's are offering a disability card that entitles a person with a disability to take a carer free... They have to be over 3 years of age and be currently recieving DLA. Forms are available in cinema's...or so they say on their little advertising cards that I picked up at my local cinema last week!

ttfn, Tizz.

Many thanks helen !!!! the link worked fine !! Just one thing towards the end of the posts someone says something about a free tv licence but it is not explained what criteria is required anyone in the know ????

julia

Make sure wherever you go that you ask if there are carers concessions, theme parks and holiday type attractions especially. The Sea Life Centres allow one carer to go in free, we have enjoyed that one a few times, my dd loves the fish!

UGC cinema do their own carers pass, they take a photo of the disabled person then whoever accompanies them to the cinema gets in free, which means 2 get in for the price of a childs ticket for me B)

Lightwater Valley and Flamingo Land do concessionary tickets so it's worth asking if you are having a day out at any theme park whether they also do them, just give them a ring, it is rarely stated on websites and adverts.

If your child likes diggers then Diggerland is worth a trip.

We went to the one near Newcastle. You will need a map because it isn't well signposted (they told us that they have to have above a certain number of visitors to get more signposting!) but there is a map on the website.

You can buy day passes or a strip of tickets. We arrived in the afternoon on a poor day so only bought a strip - it was enough for two children +parents for a quick shot on most things.

You can have a shot at driving different sized diggers, there are small ones with the bucket removed and things like a ball on rope to knock down skittles, a hook to catch ducks or a fork to dig for treasure substituted. You can go for a run in a JCB (or for more tokens drive it yourself), be driven round the site in a trailer behind a small dumper thing, drive dump trucks or my favourite - sit in the bucket of a huge digger and be spun round and round and up and down!.

THere were some indoor things but they didn't look very exciting. If it was a good day there were picnic tables outside.

Katie (8) needs someone with her- for rides where I was on to help her e.g. driving a dumper I went on free, where I took up a seat e.g. the spinning digger bucket I used tokens for me too.

It was good fun and we would go back again. If it's been wet wear rubber boots as there was vast amounts of mud.

Regards

Nautim

Diggerland in Durham (near Newcastle) about 6 miles from me, if anyone gets stuck finding directions send me a PM. They do concessions for carers.

There is also a Diggerland in Kent and Devon.

Edited by lil_me

There are special needs sessions very occasionally at Diggerland in Durham, it might be worth giving them a call about it, I can't remember which groups access it but everyone is welcome. We paid a cover charge and the kids got unlimited rides, they loved it.

Hope that I'm not being too dense :P but can someone answer me a question. How do you qualify as a carer? i get DLA for Josh but he's not registered disabled and we don't get a carers allowance as I work part time. He isn't statemented at school yet either. Can I still apply for some of these things as he does need someone with him.

Hi Squishychick

Try this link

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/c...nce.asp#caniget

Yes if you are claiming DLA then you can claim carers allowance but have to be having a certain income, check the link out it may explain more about the benefit. About the statement that shouldn't make a difference it's whether you get the DLA and you do.

Take care

Amanda

Edited by Amanda32

Not looking to get carers allowance as I don't think I provide the level of care that some of you seem to do, just wondered about getting the support when out with him. I could take him to more places if I could avoid queues and meltdowns and maybe save a bit of money to take him to some of the more expensive things. Obsession with transport :P

squishychick

If your son gets DLA then that's all you need to be his carer for a lot of things. When we go to theme parks or outings I just take a DLA letter with me as proof of disability. My children are not on any disability register but the fact they receive DLA means that they are disabled and I'm their carer. We got the cinema exhibitor cards which have been brilliant, we only pay for the disabled child and I go free as the carer. I just show the photo card and I'm not made to feel that I'm trying to scam a free ticket for a child that looks completely normal, no more dodgy looks. :D

Lisa

Thanks for that Lisa

I have to say I was a bit worried about it being a 'scam' idea. Sometimes it is easier if a child has a visible disability. People are more accepting of this. The amount of times I have had to deal with a meltdown with looks from people over my 'naughty' child and obvious bad parenting skills :lol:

Money saving tip:

This post is about discounts. I?ve been doing some DIY over the past few weeks. I wasn?t aware until recently (when my dad came shopping with me last week) that a person could get discount on their purchases, depending on their status, e.g. a student, an OAP.

In my area:

> R*s*b*s - retailer of home textiles, has a discount day when it offers a 10% discount to students who hold a students card.

> F**** DIY store offers an ?everyday? discount of 10% for OAPs, whilst *&Q DIY store offers a 10% discount on a certain day.

Even our local A** tyre centre offers a 10% discount to OAPs on a certain day.

The discount notification may be advertised in the shop/store, but it can sometimes be positioned in some obscure place. Enquire at the customers? service desk about discount days.

Another load of info from Autism Awareness on tazbar.com

I have just applied for the bus pass and the council discount... and next week I will for the swimming concessions...

Courtesy of Autim Awareness

Your child (if registered on the special needs registered) is entitled to a FREE Bus Pass and one for a carer to travel with him. Country wide usage. Apply via your Public Transport department through your council.

Free swimming through out the year in public baths for child and carer. Apply via your local pool.

Radar Keys for the disabled toilets are available from your council.

If you are on a water meter - you can get a discount if you over the normal amount due to your child's needs. Excess washing, clothes wash etc...

Remember to register yourself (child) on the emergency priority list with your electricity provider so as during a power failure, they will work on your house faster.

Is your GP aware you are a carer? You are entitled to Flu injections (so as you don't get ill and the authorities don't have to pay for someone to come and look after your child!! - Not kidding!!)

Are you entitled to Carers Allowance? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeo...ers/DG_10012522 with this also comes carers pension credits.

Your child is entitled to a discount in your council tax! Upto 25% off . Have you applied?

Do you need special adaptations? Try appling for a Disabilities Facilities Grant - Occupational Therapist referal needed. (social worker should put you in touch with an Occupational Therapist)

Family Fund grants could be available to you for items NOT normally provided by mainstream providers http://www.familyfund.org.uk/newsite/conte...ection=00010002

Carers Outreach organise various outings for you to enjoy with other carers. (look up your local one in your directory)

If you are going on a holiday - speak to your travel company - they can arrage early board, or late board as per your needs. Disney Parks offer Fast Track to people of SN (special Needs) and their party. United Airlines will upgrade you for free, and sit you in the front if your child has behaviour difficulties. First Choice will meet any special dietary needs (not edible, sometimes, but they do try!!)

The council tax one is amazing as that is up to 25 % off so for me that will be.. �300 saving !!!!!! this was a big shock as they don't tell you this do they !!! so with my single persons discount as well its gonna be really helpful...

Edited by ksasnic

Your child (if registered on the special needs registered) is entitled to a FREE Bus Pass and one for a carer to travel with him. Country wide usage. Apply via your Public Transport department through your council.

This is local, definately doesn't apply in my area. If you are entitled to higher rate mobility in my area you qualify for a pass which gets half price fares for the holder, no discounts for carers etc and not free travel.

Disney will give you fast track passes but try getting the disability discount when you go to stay and your reg disabled child is not classed as disabled unless they are in a wheelchair or cant walk 50 yds. And they havent replied to my e-mail telling them I consider this dicrimination.

Have just heard that the electricity companies have to give a 15% discount if you are on a low income and you have children to care for (don't have to be disabled either). I have applied and they have started discounting from the day I rang up!

Equally so with the water, their package is slightly tougher in that you need to be on a low income and have 3 children under the age of 19 in full time education for whom you receive child benefit; then (AFTER ONE HAS APPLIED FOR A METER AND THEY HAVE PUT IT IN) they will 'cap' your costs (please note they will not 'cap' your watersupply!) to just over �400 a year. I have applied for the meter and as soon as that's been put it it will save me �200 a year!!! You do NOT need permission from your landlord to change over to a meter.

You can also get this discount if a member of the household has very specific health needs that requires large amounts of water.

Most places I go to I simply say '1 disabled and 1 carer' and most places will give us a discount, whether they were planning to or not! And my son definitely doesn't LOOK disabled.

This is local, definately doesn't apply in my area. If you are entitled to higher rate mobility in my area you qualify for a pass which gets half price fares for the holder, no discounts for carers etc and not free travel.

Dredged the following out of the bowels of my computer:

Information on the new statutory minimum entitlement: Free off-peak local bus travel for older and disabled people in England. From 1 April 2006 all people aged 60 and over and disabled people will be entitled to free bus travel within the local authority area they live. The Secretary of State for Transport has announced that from April 2008 this will be improved to allow free travel on any local bus across England.

Changes from 1 April 2006

* What is happening to concessionary fares?

The Government is raising the statutory minimum entitlement for older and disabled persons' travel concessions. It will improve from the current half-fare entitlement to guarantee free off-peak travel on local buses.

Each local authority can enhance this minimum standard if it wishes but the principles are set out below. Fuller details of what will be offered in your area will be available from your local authority, so watch out for local publicity.

* Who will be eligible?

People aged 60 and over and disabled people of any age who qualify under the categories listed in the Transport Act 2000.

* Where will I be able to use my pass?

Concessionary travel schemes are the responsibility of District and Unitary Councils, or in metropolitan areas, the Passenger Transport Executives (PTEs).

As a minimum the pass can be used for off-peak bus travel within the boundaries of the district or unitary authority in which you live, or within the PTE boundaries if you live in a metropolitan area. However, authorities can offer additional benefits such as county-wide or area-wide schemes, or to offer concessions on specific cross-boundary journeys, at their own discretion.

* When will I be able to use my pass?

Passes must be valid for free local bus travel between 9.30am and 11pm Mondays to Fridays and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays. However, local authorities will retain their discretion to offer concessions at other times.

* Will there be a charge for the pass?

Passes offering the statutory minimum entitlement will be free of charge.

But where local authorities offer more generous schemes, for example a county wide scheme, they may make a charge to help fund the enhancement, so long as a free pass providing the statutory minimum remains available as an option.

* Will I be able to have free or discounted travel on other transport like trams, ferries or rail?

The statutory entitlement covers local bus services. A local authority may add travel on other modes based on their judgement of local needs and circumstances and their overall financial priorities.

* When will I have details of local scheme?

Your local council should now be able to give you full details of how the scheme will operate from 1 April area, and how to apply.

* How do I apply for a pass?

Contact your local district or unitary authority, or your Passenger Transport Executive (PTE) if you live in a metropolitan area.

* How will the free local bus travel be funded?

The Government is providing an extra �350m to local authorities in 2006/07 to fund the cost of providing free local bus travel.

Try here to see what's on offer over and above this in your area ... http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/ind...ansport+schemes

Good news is that there is a bill on its way through parliament at the moment to make this NATIONAL free travel from 2008 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I have started providing our local Disability register coordinator to file all the usefull websites in the quarterly newsletter some things we have posted are;

http://www.saynoto0870.com/ alternative phone numbers for the 0870 numbers

http://www.transporters.tv/ Website with thomas the tank like characters that was created with help of the NAS to help kids recognise emotions

http://www.freecycle.org/groups/unitedkingdom/ A linked email based where people post things they are no longer use, for any one to come and collect.

www.mencap.org.uk/willsandtrusts Team planning ahead

http://entitledto.co.uk/ helps you to calculate exactly what benefits you are entitled to.

Hope it helps

:thumbs: Hi. I am amazed at some of the money saving tips in this forum! We had ruled out a trip to Disney based on flight time & as for standing in line...... We went to Europa Park last year in June, so it wasnt too busy, but still hard work waiting in line for so long! Does anyone know if Thorpe Park or Alton Towers allow Aspies to priority board the rides? That would be a good dry run. I think this site could help restore some of my sanity-I only found it yesterday!! Thankyou....

Thanks for bringing this up to the top! will be ringing my local council first thing re a reduction for carers allowance! will let you know how I go on. Enid

Gosh theres loads of things here i didnt know about! how do i register cams special needs? he has a dx and is statemented, i have tried a few sites but couldnt find anything! do i contact the council?

sonj

Yes Thorpe and Alton do offer fast passes on proof via the disabled exit. We have found it a god send and wished that it had existed when son was small. We have an annual Tussauds pass but found on a recent visit to Chessington that they are changing their system due to abuse. Thorpe may also change but hasnt as yet- something to do with the number of "disabled" visitors at Chessington, Call them to check what they currently require as proof. We had produced letters stating the diagnosis from Consultant. I think Chessington is moving moire over to difficulty with queuing rather than having a disability as being sufficient.

:thumbs: Hi. I am amazed at some of the money saving tips in this forum! We had ruled out a trip to Disney based on flight time & as for standing in line...... We went to Europa Park last year in June, so it wasnt too busy, but still hard work waiting in line for so long! Does anyone know if Thorpe Park or Alton Towers allow Aspies to priority board the rides? That would be a good dry run. I think this site could help restore some of my sanity-I only found it yesterday!! Thankyou....

Alton Towers definately does. You need to take your current DLA form with you. After you have bought your tickets you go to the customers services desk and they put you on computer and give you all a wrist band to wear. I think it's red for the child and blue for everyone else in the party. They also give you a booklet that shows you where you enter the rides. It is usually through the exit door, so you don't have to walk past people queuing (which was a worry of mine incase someone said something!).

It was brilliant. This is the first time, in 8 years, we have had a family outing that did not end in tears, (children crying, parents threatening divorce - you know how it goes :whistle: ) and that was mainly down to him not having the frustration of waiting.

Thanks so much for that. Will plan a trip soon. As a family we love theme parks & roller costers. The thought of not having to wait in line is fab! Will have to start saving for Disney after this years hols!!!

Disney will give you fast track passes but try getting the disability discount when you go to stay and your reg disabled child is not classed as disabled unless they are in a wheelchair or cant walk 50 yds. And they havent replied to my e-mail telling them I consider this dicrimination.

I just got back from disneyworld florida.

I was there 14 days and on day 1 I went to the main office at the ticket and transportation centre Basically where you get busses, monorails etc to all the parks. I told them my sons problem and they didnt even query it. I had a letter from my doctor inc ase of questions. I was givena red special assistance guest card whichwas dated to expire in 14 days. With this I got to go to all the rides and all teh shows and no queing at all. In the case of the shows, they out his name as VIP ona list so when the show started we went to front of queuea nd was allowed in to be seated.

I couldnt praise them enough. They took time to speak to me and my son and spoke clearly calmly and gave us both time to answer.

We had similar in Universal studios and seaworld. The latter if you speak to a dolphin trainer willl take you to a quiet place to stroke the dolphins :)

hope that helps

Re: council tax reduction. I phoned my local council and informed them that I had a child with autism and were on WFTC they said we were not entitled to any reduction, so what is the criteria?

Also how do you get your child on the disabled register?

I just got back from disneyworld florida.

I was there 14 days and on day 1 I went to the main office at the ticket and transportation centre Basically where you get busses, monorails etc to all the parks. I told them my sons problem and they didnt even query it. I had a letter from my doctor inc ase of questions. I was givena red special assistance guest card whichwas dated to expire in 14 days. With this I got to go to all the rides and all teh shows and no queing at all. In the case of the shows, they out his name as VIP ona list so when the show started we went to front of queuea nd was allowed in to be seated.

I couldnt praise them enough. They took time to speak to me and my son and spoke clearly calmly and gave us both time to answer.

We had similar in Universal studios and seaworld. The latter if you speak to a dolphin trainer willl take you to a quiet place to stroke the dolphins :)

hope that helps

I wonder if this is the same in Disney Paris cos we are off there at the end of the month.....do I just take the dla letter?

On 11/2/2004 at 1:39 PM, sonia said:

Hello everyone,

As a family we have visited Legoland this year numerous times. As a child with ASD my son Nathan is entitled to one carer admitted free so my husband does not have to pay. Even better, when you arrive at lego land, go to guest services and get the free carers pass and also the child with the disability gets a red stamp on hand and the other members in the party a black stamp-exit pass, basically you do not have to queue. This is great for our children who have difficulty queuing. A very stressfree day!!!!!

Sonia xx

My son has not been diagnosed but does recieve DLA. Does this still count? B x

Edited by trekster
Correcting accidentally use of caps lock key