Sign in to follow this  
tizzmeclare

Epsom Salts

Hi Guys,

I've just started using Epsom Salts in A's bath and I was wondering if any of you have had any luck with it, in helping them get off to sleep?

I've only used it once, as I don't want to use it all the time - as I'm not sure how often you should add it to the bath?

I actually bought it a month or so ago, but put off using it.

A did actually go off to sleep that night, and slept through, which is amazing! but as he has been up so much on previous nights, I'm not sure if it was the salts that helped or if it was just shere tiredness!

Any idea's or knowledge welcome!

regards, tizz

Its supposed to be a muscle relaxant, and help calm the nervous system. Its used a lot for detox. I don't use it every day, but it is very handy if anyone in the family is stressed out, particularly in the evening. A lot of the bubble baths contain chemicals and colourings that stimulate or irritate the nervous system, so we avoid them completely. That alone can make a difference. I tend to use epsom salts as a "therapy" once or twice a week for a bit and then when it is needed, rather than every bath. I work on the idea that epsom salts might be more effective when it is used, if it is not used every time. Reducing chemical stress from toiletries generally has been really useful.

Good luck :)

I was talking to someone last week who had started using these, she now uses it every night as she has had a lot of success, I think I might look into it myself. I don't think I would choose to use it every night. Where is the best place/cheap aswell to buy them from ? .

You can get it from a chemist, which I believe is for internal use as well, so can cost a bit more.

As its for external use only, we get ours from an agricultural group, Mole Valley farmers here in the south west or you could try a horse feed place. We get it in a 1.5 kg box for �3.09. Its used for treating muscle strains in animals. Its the pure magnesium sulphate we get, the grains seem a little courser than the chemist stuff, but it dissolves anyway so it doesn't matter.

On the detox sites I've seen 1-2 cups of epsom salts mentioned for an adult. For me thats too much unless you are doing a proper detox, so for relaxation I just use a small handful. I also find I need to have a drink beforehand, and keep a glass of drinking water handy, as it sometimes make me a bit thirsty.

On the detox sites I've seen 1-2 cups of epsom salts mentioned for an adult. For me thats too much unless you are doing a proper detox, so for relaxation I just use a small handful. I also find I need to have a drink beforehand, and keep a glass of drinking water handy, as it sometimes make me a bit thirsty.

Oops, I almost used half the package last time. :oops:

Thanks for that!

I've seen one or two sites that say 4 cups. I just find a handful enough, and not too drying. And cheaper. :) You may need more, but I started off with a smaller amount and just haven't increased it, for me it was fine.

I've seen one or two sites that say 4 cups. I just find a handful enough, and not too drying. And cheaper. :)

Thanks - do you use any other bath salts alongside, or just the epsom salts?

I definately wouldn't use any commercial bath salts with it, or soap, because of colourings, different chemicals etc. Its just to relax, I just chuck in the epsom salts, and soak for 20 mins or so. If you want a bit of nice smell you could make something up yourself. There are some recipes online such as:

2 cups epsom salts

1/2 c. sea salt

4-6 drops scented oil (I'd use pure aromatherapy oils)

2-3 drops food coloring (Although I definately wouldn't use this)

The chemicals or the colourings in bubble baths can cause hyperactivity and sleeplessness in children. So I wouldn't add food colouring just to make it look nicer, I've also seen recipes using flower petals and things but its not my thing. Too much like hard work. :blink:

I definately wouldn't use any commercial bath salts with it, or soap, because of colourings, different chemicals etc. Its just to relax, I just chuck in the epsom salts, and soak for 20 mins or so.

I added some natural sea salt bath salt (no other ingredients) last time, which was lovely. Was just wondering whether it was OK to use them alongisde, which seems to be the case :D

2-3 drops food coloring (Although I definately wouldn't use this)

I am having horrible visions of rainbow-coloured kiddos :P

I've also seen recipes using flower petals and things but its not my thing. Too much like hard work.  :blink:

LOL I hate having bits of stuff in my bath. Creeps me out... too much like trying to swim in the sea, with fishies etc. :wacko:

My Mum once got me a bath bomb and the bleeding thing was full of glitter - took me WEEKS to rid the bathroom & my body of the stuff!!! :unsure:

Sorry for seeming a bit dense, but Ive not heard of Epsom salts being used in the bath before. So you actually put 2 cupfuls in? Isnt that a lot? Where do you buy them in reasonable quantities for bathing?

I thought Epsom Salts came in a smallish tin and you took it for some kind of stomach upset or constipation. (A dose of salts?).

Would it be suitable for a child with eczema? Do they make you itch?

Edited by peaches

Hmmmm - not sure if it was epsom salts or whether I've got my wires crossed, but I remember Paul Shattock talking about adding some sort of mineral salts to bathwater as being helpful for AS/ASD's... There is, apparently, often a partcular mineral deficiency associated with autism, and bathing in epsom salts (if it was epsom salts) helps replace it through absorbtion through the skin.

It's interesting to see it mentioned here with regard to 'detox', because two other big detox buggaboos are wheat and dairy! Maybe gluten-free/dairy free etc helps our kids indirectly in a 'detox' way rather than directly through elimination of peptides as Shattock/Savory originally thought? :unsure:

Veeeeeeery interesting.................... :D

have been trying epsom salts in my d's bath for almost a week now and i swear she is calmer........will let you know in another week or two how we get on............ ;)

Once upon a time Long Long ago in parts of the country, near the south coast, (Cant think of the town) you had 3 taps on the bath. Hot water, Cold water and Sea water. The Victorians believed that sea water was good for you and you should bath in it.

The system of pipes etc no longer exists because, as we all know salt water corrodes metal so all the pipes rusted away.

"Bath salts" are just Epsom salts with added color and smell.

The main component is magnesium which is used throughout the body to do all sorts of things.

The best way to take in magnesium is by socking in a bath of ------ Epsom salts.