Calsdad

Risperdal

Hi All

My daughter, aged 7, diagnosed AS has been on risperdal for 3 months now, doses of 0.25mg for 1 week, then 0.5mg and for past month 0.75mg, given at night.

For us personally it has changed everything. Not that I would suggest medicating is the answer, but for us at the moment it helps.

Fortunately for us the hunger side effect is a positive. Katy is very underweight with what was a very restricted diet, and was prescribed fortijuice dietary supplements. She now no longer needs them and is eating much much better.And she is sleeping which is a godsend!

She was only medicated because ourselves and her doctors all knew she was on verge of a breakdown so intervention with medication was a last resort.

Like I said, it seems to be working for now, and we are aware that we need to tackle the causes of her extreme anxieties and try to help her cope, but for now we are enjoying her!

Sharon

Hi All

My daughter, aged 7, diagnosed AS has been on risperdal for 3 months now, doses of 0.25mg for 1 week, then 0.5mg and for past month 0.75mg, given at night.

For us personally it has changed everything. Not that I would suggest medicating is the answer, but for us at the moment it helps.

Fortunately for us the hunger side effect is a positive. Katy is very underweight with what was a very restricted diet, and was prescribed fortijuice dietary supplements. She now no longer needs them and is eating much much better.And she is sleeping which is a godsend!

She was only medicated because ourselves and her doctors all knew she was on verge of a breakdown so intervention with medication was a last resort.

Like I said, it seems to be working for now, and we are aware that we need to tackle the causes of her extreme anxieties and try to help her cope, but for now we are enjoying her!

Sharon

Hi Sharon

Could you PM me more details about these fortijuice dietary supplements I really would like to know more

Thanks

Frang xx

risperdal didnt work for me i have aspergers,dyspraxia depression self-harm and this meds didnt work for me atll all even though i was aggressive and violent anger outbursts seem to make everything all whole lot worse!

My ds2 is on Risperdal. He went on it when he was 19 and it works very well for him. He has 1mg a day and takes it at bedtime. After a bad spell once, I put him up to 1.5mg and it calmed him down a lot but he wasn't happy to stay on that dose, as he said he couldn't think like he wanted to. It seemed to be a pay-off, either he was pleasant, calm and sensible, able to be practical and be reasoned with, or he was slightly on the 'high' side, more difficult to live with but he said he just felt right that way. He likes to think of clever, technical things like inventions and stuff and he says he gets better ideas when he's on a lower dose (more 'high'). As he's an adult, its his choice and on 1mg a day he's ok to live with from my point of view and happy with how his mind is working from his own point of view, so he's settled on that now. We did try a lower dose but it didn't work for either of us, he was very difficult to live with and was too stressed to think straight, so we're satisfied its the optimum dose for him, at least for now. He doesn't seem to have had any side effects. It didn't help with his sleeping so he's also on a low dose of Melatonin now and that helps a great deal.

Dear Lynda/?/

How long has been your 19 year old on risperdal??

Is he still on it??

Please do answer if you can as my son is 22 and we started 2 months ago and I can find almost no medic articles on risperidone on adult ASD people.

Thanks a lot

Best,

Edith

Hi

I hope it continues to work for your son.

Unfortunately my daughter experienced major side effects - massive weight gain and excessive tiredness. She slept most of the day wich, at first seemed ok because the rest of the family had some respite but was really not good for her as she felt ''drugged up'' for most of her ''awake'' hours.

Hope it continues to be a positive thing for your son.

Gail

Dear Gail,

How old is your daughter who was given risperdal??

Because my 22 old son seems drowsy.We started 2 months ago with 1mg /day.

What was your dose?

Can you help me with info ,please.

Thanks

All the best,

Edith

My son (11 years old) has been on it for 9 mnths (o.5 mg x 2 daily) and it helped a little bit with the tossing and turning all night and it did help his anxieties.

Lately though he has become aggressive, hard to control again and swears all the time, he worries about every little thing again and basically seems to be getting worse again not better at all.

I think that maybe another visit to the Drs is due

Anyone else experienced this??

Clare x

I am just wondering what has happened to you since.A new medication?

No medication at all.

Please do help as I ahve a 22 old and we started rispdal 2 months ago.

Thanks.

Edith

Just read a Wikipedia entry and it says the FDA approved the use of Risperdal on Autistic children in 2006 to treat 'irritability'.

First question: would Risperdal be reccomended for 'irritability' in non-Autistics? If not, why not?

Second: does a prescription take into account that Autistics could actually have natural reasons to be irritable like anyone else?

I'm especially worried that this was approved for Autistic children a year before it was approved for Schizophrenic children. I'm not convinced Autistics are being given the same standard of consideration.

Hi Lucas,

These are very good questions.

Well done for the thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!

Best

Edith

Funny you should say that. There is an acne drug, Roacutane. It's passed vigorous trials and continues to have a very good record, concerns about the main side-effect; depression, are exaggerated. Very few people actually suffer severe depression from it, so few that the drug can still be considered safe.

I was on Roacutane for about two years in my teens though and was extremely depressed to the point of suffering delusions. Roacutane has repeatedly been mentioned in journals and articles drawing attention to these extremely severe side efects, but their rarity means the only solution is to simply lower the dose, which didn't help me but did bring my bad skin back. Depressed and spotty, wonderful.

Roacutane though, like all drugs is tested on a general population. Targeted populations with specific vulnerability such as Autistics are never used as controls. I knew back when I was first prescribed the drug that Autism makes me more sensitive to things and I did mention this when they were first taking the blood test to check if the drug was suitable; I was pointing this out because it was something that wouldn't show up on a blood test. I feel I was ignored.

I believe Risperdal has studies done of Autistics taking it, but without controls; non-Autistic people taking it. This is one of the ways we are not treated with the same level of consideration as others.

Very interesting and true points thre again Lucas.

I once gave my son /he was 19/ valliun only o.5 because he was very anxious and restless.

The effect was the opposite.He could not sleep and was so jumpy for a good 3 days that I would not try it again and I later read about this "adverse" effect in a book or article.

All the best to ypou

Edith

Edith, my 21 yr old son has been on Risperdal on and off since he was 13, so we pretty much know its effects,, if you want to ask anything do .

Edith, my 21 yr old son has been on Risperdal on and off since he was 13, so we pretty much know its effects,, if you want to ask anything do .

Dear Lisac,

Yes I think I have a few questions.

How much is the dose?Who prescribes it?I am not happy with LDP Health Team at all but we were told that we belong there and people with learning disability cannot visit adult pshichiatry.

Does you son is Asperger or Autism? What advantages and disadvantages of risperdal do you experience?Did you interrupt /as you say on and off/ and how often you interrupted?

How often didi you have bloodtests and other medic exams?Can your son tell what the medication does for him?

I think at the moment these questions are enough for you.

I really appreciate your answers.

Thanks allthe best

Edith :robbie:

Dear Lisac,

Yes I think I have a few questions.

How much is the dose?Who prescribes it?I am not happy with LDP Health Team at all but we were told that we belong there and people with learning disability cannot visit adult pshichiatry.

Does you son is Asperger or Autism? What advantages and disadvantages of risperdal do you experience?Did you interrupt /as you say on and off/ and how often you interrupted?

How often didi you have bloodtests and other medic exams?Can your son tell what the medication does for him?

I think at the moment these questions are enough for you.

I really appreciate your answers.

Thanks allthe best

Edith :robbie:

Well, he is on 3.5ml a day at the moment. 2.5ml in the morning and 1.ml in the evening. We live in London and my son is seen by MHILD ( Mental Health in Learning Disability) Team, for adults which is based in Guys Hospital. He has been with them since he was 18. They are an excellent group of people, much better than the Childrens and Adolescents Team. They are non-judgemental and really listen to the parents. I can telephone them if my son is having a particularly bad day and they then say I can give him a bit more Risperdal. A Psychiatrist , comes out to us once a year to see how he is doing on it, then continues to prescribe Risperdal , which I can then pick up as a repeat prescription from our GP. My son has quite severe autism and the advantages when he takes Risperdal, are that he is much less anxious, and is able to access some college classes with a support worker. He is sometimes quiet, or a bit tired (but this is better than him being stressed) usually an hour and a half after he has his first dose of the day (2.5ml) but then it begins to wear off and after about six hours its like he has'nt had any at all, so another dose in the evening ensures that he sleeps. He has no bad side effects this time round, so the plus's out weigh the negatives when he is challenging and angry. He was on Risperdal from 13 till 16. Then I stopped it as he had been very happy and calm for a while. 16-18 nothing. 18-20 only 1.5ml Risperdal at night. 20-21, (which is now) he has 3.5ml Risperdal as he became very challenging, aggressive again. He has never had blood tests because he couldnt cope with having a needle in his arm, and the psychiatrist says it is not necessary as he appears well. My son cant tell me anything, so it is just from observation. Hope this has helped you a bit.

Well, he is on 3.5ml a day at the moment. 2.5ml in the morning and 1.ml in the evening. We live in London and my son is seen by MHILD ( Mental Health in Learning Disability) Team, for adults which is based in Guys Hospital. He has been with them since he was 18. They are an excellent group of people, much better than the Childrens and Adolescents Team. They are non-judgemental and really listen to the parents. I can telephone them if my son is having a particularly bad day and they then say I can give him a bit more Risperdal. A Psychiatrist , comes out to us once a year to see how he is doing on it, then continues to prescribe Risperdal , which I can then pick up as a repeat prescription from our GP. My son has quite severe autism and the advantages when he takes Risperdal, are that he is much less anxious, and is able to access some college classes with a support worker. He is sometimes quiet, or a bit tired (but this is better than him being stressed) usually an hour and a half after he has his first dose of the day (2.5ml) but then it begins to wear off and after about six hours its like he has'nt had any at all, so another dose in the evening ensures that he sleeps. He has no bad side effects this time round, so the plus's out weigh the negatives when he is challenging and angry. He was on Risperdal from 13 till 16. Then I stopped it as he had been very happy and calm for a while. 16-18 nothing. 18-20 only 1.5ml Risperdal at night. 20-21, (which is now) he has 3.5ml Risperdal as he became very challenging, aggressive again. He has never had blood tests because he couldnt cope with having a needle in his arm, and the psychiatrist says it is not necessary as he appears well. My son cant tell me anything, so it is just from observation. Hope this has helped you a bit.

Thank you very much lisac,

We also have the same problem that son cannot communicate only very little so he cannot tell us how he is or how he is feeling.

Her the adult medical team is a nonsense and I feel very bad that as an adult witl Learning diffs we have no other choice.

What does your son do during the day?

Is he still at home with you??

Please do keep in touch.OK

Thanks for help

Edith and son :thumbs:

HI all,

thought I would update my ds story in this link. She has now been on risperdal for nearly 3 years on varying doses. She now takes 0.5mg on an evening. The only side effects we noticed was a little weight gain, which has now settled (although she does a lot of dance classes), and a little agitation at first B has never had a diagnosis so she was prescribed for anxiety, paranoia and volatile behaviour. We are thinking of trying to reduce and come offmeds again (not successful at the last atempt) as the biggest positive of the meds was that being calmer gave her the opportunity to learn about social interaction and become more involved in her peer group as she over reacts less often. She has also improved dramatically with her school work, with her need to be precise and her eye for the detail bot being clouded by distraction and confusion.

So all in all risperdral has worked really well for our ds and the whole family.

Jo