Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Allergic to some thing

My NT DD has eaten He-nz- Ravioli twice now and on both ocassions she has been violently sick.

Here are the ingreedients:- Tomatoes.

tomatoe puree

sugar

modified cornflour

salt

herb extracts

vegetable oil

garlic salt

spice extracts

spice

durum wheat semolina

plain caramel

beef

The only thing I can not rule out is the plain caramel or things like spice extract as I don't know what they are.. It has not artificial colour or preservatives.

Is there anything you can see that could cause this?

Viper.

caramel as a colouring is not the inoffensive burnt sugar we all know and hate our kids rotting their teeth with and it is known to cause reactions in some people

however it is in a lot of foods so you would expect him to react to other things if it was this. It's probably one of the spices

Zemanski

Zamanski, this is my "normal" daughter and the reaction happened a few hours later.

Thanks anyway.

Viper.

"spice extracts" can cover a huge range of possible problems:-

monosodium glutamate (MSG) being the most problematic. Not usually listed as a spice, rather as 'flavour enhancer'. But as it's He*nz, it may well be disguised to sound healthier.

oils of spices such as cinnamon, paprika, pepper, etc can cause allergic reactions in people who don't react to the whole spice at all.

nemo

Edited by littlenemo

I know somone who is allergic to E150d (colouring in caramel) this is also in coke. If she can drink coke then I would say it is not the caramel. Garlic can cause what you discribe (or in some cases sooth it), but spices can upset tummies and I would put mony on that (if I had to).

Have you thought of having an allergy test done?

wow i would just not give it to her again, but as u say the indgreidient causing this problem may be in other things. what a puzzle!

hope u solve it :huh:

it could even be the tin it came in,the list of ingredients are fairly common so you would think there would be a reaction when eating other foods.

Sometimes 2 ingredients together can cause a reaction when seperately they are fine.

This happened to H with tomato sauce with pottasium sorbate in, yet he could eat potassium sorbate in other products :wacko:

Sometimes you never find out exactly what it was :(

Madmooch