Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

boxing day

what are you all doing today?i am cleaning my bombsite of a house and then going to the sales to spend,spend,spend :clap: not that ive anywhere else in my house to put any more stuff but i cant resist a bargain!!!...im so glad christmas day is finally over and done with..phew :thumbs:

We are taking the kids up town to spend their vouchers that they got for christmas.

I would run the hoover round, but we cant see the floor for toys!! :lol:

We were trying to fathom out 'why' it is called boxing day, anyone know?

Our conclusions were:

You had all been in together too long so you all started boxing eachother. :fight::lol: :

You are all boxed in together because of the holidays, hence 'boxing day'. :lol:

Anyone with the real answer. :lol::lol:

Brook

In victorian times, servents and maids were given leftovers and small gifts as pressies, they were put in boxes and taken to the servents quarters or houses. Hence the term. As far as I know thats the reason anyway.

Viper.

Boxing Day originated in England in the middle of the nineteenth century under Queen Victoria. December 26th became a holiday as boxes were filled with gifts and money for servants and tradespeople.

Also, poor people carried empty boxes from door to door, and the boxes were soon filled with food, Christmas sweets, and money. Parents gave their children small gifts such as, oranges, handkerchiefs, and socks. People also placed old clothing that they didn't need anymore in boxes, and they were given to those in need.

Found this for you.

Viper.

I'm sat at home alone except for the cat, Kids with the ex, DP at work.

In victorian times, servents and maids were given leftovers and small gifts as pressies, they were put in boxes and taken to the servents quarters or houses. Hence the term. As far as I know thats the reason anyway.

Viper.

Boxing Day originated in England in the middle of the nineteenth century under Queen Victoria. December 26th became a holiday as boxes were filled with gifts and money for servants and tradespeople.

Also, poor people carried empty boxes from door to door, and the boxes were soon filled with food, Christmas sweets, and money. Parents gave their children small gifts such as, oranges, handkerchiefs, and socks. People also placed old clothing that they didn't need anymore in boxes, and they were given to those in need.

Found this for you.

Viper.

Thanks Viper, that's cleared that mystery up. :thumbs:

Brook

boxing day is actually the feast of stephen,i prefer boxing day though and the theory that i want to box my kids ears fits in rather well too :huh:

Trying to sort the bomb site, no bin collection until Friday, bin is full, 11 bin sacks in living room and kitchen, hope the council tip is open Wednesday. Attempted the sales, we got to B & Q and ended up with meltdown central so gave up and came home. Oh joys lol :) thats the 6th year in a row I have missed the bargains.

Lil-me the above message is from me not my DD, (note to self AGAIN log in before posting)

Viper.

Well every year I try again, get a yippee when I say we are goig shopping as he wants to spend any Xmas money or vouchers, then we get through the door of the first shop and thats basically it lol. Will be nothing left by the 9th :( wouldn't care I've been really good this year and careful over Xmas so got money to spend for a change pah!! never mind !!

I'll be honest my DP looked thankful, shopping is his idea of complete nightmare so he was pleased to go home aswell, I'm sure he does something to start these meltdowns so we can go home :lol:

Edited by lil_me

We were trying to fathom out 'why' it is called boxing day, anyone know?

Brook

There are some erroneous theories surrounding the victorian tradition of passing on leftovers in little boxes. Right era, but it actually stems from a combination of the facts that victorian plumbing was notoriously unreliable, and Christmas usually entailed the consumption of vast quantities of very rich food and alcohol. The unfortunate member of staff who landed cleaning up duties would be expected to sing heartlly while on the job as a polite warning to guests that the bathroom was currently off limits... The more lowly members of the domestic staff team would draw lots to see which unfortunate would land the cleaning duties on 'Bog-Sing-Day'...

Well, Frank, it's a celebration of small leftovers... a recognition of the pressures of prolonged exposure to other family members, or it's a corruption of a housemaids complaint concerning the inefficiancy of Thomas Crapper's indoor plumbing system... True or Bluff?? ;)

Well I managed to get 2 hours this afternoon to have a wander round the sales, not much on offer in all honesty, bit narked off that some of the things I bought are dramatically reduced in price like one present for my son which was ?49.99 is now ?14.99 argh but thats just the way it is I suppose. I did manage to get him another RC submarine for his birthday with is soon half price :) and some straightners and a hair dryer for me. About time I started looking after myself I have been told by my DP.